News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ubisoft's new DRM

Started by Ed Anger, February 20, 2010, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Warspite on February 21, 2010, 09:20:49 AM
The reasonable solution is surely to buy it and then crack it.

An increasing number of countries, though (Germany, for example) make it illegal to circumvent copy protections, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2010, 09:36:45 AM

An increasing number of countries, though (Germany, for example) make it illegal to circumvent copy protections, though.

And I suppose the FBI, etc. will be monitoring my computer at all times to enforce that law?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Warspite

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2010, 09:36:45 AM

While it is technically illegal, you retain the moral fortitude because you are a genuine paying customer merely removing a onerous copy-protection system.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Why not just not play it? If a person is genuinely interested in "moral fortitude".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Josquius

The key to stopping piracy is to create good online modes that people will want to buy the game to play.
This DRM will just be cracked, the pirates will put all the more effort into doing it. I remember Spore had some pretty hardcore DRM which was cracked.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2010, 07:39:57 AM
The key to stopping piracy is to create good online modes that people will want to buy the game to play.
This DRM will just be cracked, the pirates will put all the more effort into doing it. I remember Spore had some pretty hardcore DRM which was cracked.

I suspect this new DRM is in fact an attempt to do just that.  You have to be online the whole time to play it.  It will still be hacked, but it will be harder for the average player to find pirate servers.  The goal of DRM is not to make it impossible for pirates to crack the game but to make difficult for the layman to used the cracked version.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Cecil

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 09:18:42 AM

I suspect this new DRM is in fact an attempt to do just that.  You have to be online the whole time to play it.  It will still be hacked, but it will be harder for the average player to find pirate servers.  The goal of DRM is not to make it impossible for pirates to crack the game but to make difficult for the layman to used the cracked version.

The problem occurs when the pirated version is easier to use.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Cecil on February 22, 2010, 01:25:47 PM

Yeah, that's what makes it all so craptacular.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Cecil on February 22, 2010, 01:25:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 09:18:42 AM

I dunno.  Good copy protection is pretty much invisible to the user.  For example my computer is always connected to the internet.  What do I care if the game wants a constant internet connection then?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 02:13:09 PM
For example my computer is always connected to the internet.   

Good for you. Many people do not have 100% availability.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2010, 02:15:19 PM

Why would I care about poor people though?   :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 02:23:24 PM

As Crown prosecutor you need to maintain a facade of decency.

Syt

What about people travelling to offshore drilling rigs on a regular basis?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2010, 02:26:51 PM

What about people travelling to offshore drilling rigs on a regular basis?

As if I've ever given a damn about Viking. :rolleyes: