Main Menu

Ubisoft's new DRM

Started by Ed Anger, February 20, 2010, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 02:23:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 22, 2010, 02:15:19 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 02:13:09 PM
For example my computer is always connected to the internet.   

Good for you. Many people do not have 100% availability.

Why would I care about poor people though?   :huh:

Hi Neil!

With that being said, what happens when Ubi released a new game, say AC3 & their server goes down & you can't play any of their previously released game? What happens so far, is that you can't play anymore until the server returns.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2010, 02:26:51 PM

What about people travelling to offshore drilling rigs on a regular basis?

They should be able to figure out how to acquire the good version.

Barrister

But seriously - I've been in situations where I can't get wireless internet, and it sucks, but they're few and far between (and largely limited to some really remote locations, like Nunavut).

I can see it being worthwhile to game companies to write off such situations in favour of DRM that is nearly invisible to 99.5% of users.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

But it isn't invisible to 99.5% of users. In fact, I would argue that it will be visibile to 100% of users.

My internet connection is on all the time...except when it isn't, or it drops connection now and again. So teh game will exit. Or when Ubisofts servers get hacked, or just go down for some reason, or some router between here and there burps, or whatever.

Pretty annoying when you are playing a MMO, and now I will have to deal with it when playing a game that does not need to be connected to the internet at all, at least insofar as the actual gameplay demands.

That is very annoying. Maybe the game is so good that I will tolerate it, but it definitely is a big negative in my book.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 02:44:10 PM
Pretty annoying when you are playing a MMO, and now I will have to deal with it when playing a game that does not need to be connected to the internet at all, at least insofar as the actual gameplay demands.

But you forget:
QuoteThe added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don't need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.

ADDED SERVICES!!!!111 :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Of course you know that even if sales should be abysmal for a future smash hit because of DRM there'll be corporate suits who'll point at the pirates, blame them for the commercial failure and call for an even more intricate, invasive and draconic DRM.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Seriously, is having the damn dvd in the drive that much of an hinderance?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Cecil

I dont think I´ll ever install something with this particular piece of spyware on thanks. Well maybe if it was Starcraft 2.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2010, 02:50:43 PM
Seriously, is having the damn dvd in the drive that much of an hinderance?

For someone like me, who often switches between the games he plays, not having to have a stack of disks on the desk is a blessing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Indeed, having the DVD in the drive is incredibly annoying. I would love it if EA, for example, would substitute checking online for a license rather than having the DVD in the drive, if they also allowed having the DVD in teh drive work as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 03:03:54 PM
Indeed, having the DVD in the drive is incredibly annoying.

QFT
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 03:03:54 PM
Indeed, having the DVD in the drive is incredibly annoying. I would love it if EA, for example, would substitute checking online for a license rather than having the DVD in the drive, if they also allowed having the DVD in teh drive work as well.

The D2D copies of DA:O and ME2 are doing this. Also to verify you actually are entitled to use DLC. If they can't verify it, your save games might not work.

It's annoying, but less so than having to be online all the time. Considering how badly/slowly my online character profiles update, it's probably for the better.

IIRC, NWN1 also required online verification for the "premium modules" whenever you started those. Wonder if the authentication server still runs?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2010, 03:15:31 PM
IIRC, NWN1 also required online verification for the "premium modules" whenever you started those. Wonder if the authentication server still runs?

Now that's actually a good objection to the scheme - what happens when the publisher decides to deactivate the authentication server?  If they offer a free patch to remove the DRM that'd be fine, but I'd hate to see old games become unplayable...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 03:23:01 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2010, 03:15:31 PM

Now that's actually a good objection to the scheme - what happens when the publisher decides to deactivate the authentication server?  If they offer a free patch to remove the DRM that'd be fine, but I'd hate to see old games become unplayable...

Actually, with NWN1 it appears (from a glance at the forums) that the premium modules are a special case. Atari has the rights for publishing but don't sell them anymore, and Bioware (now with EA) aren't allowed to sell them on their store. Which means that the modules I bought and didn't back up are gone for good.

But the authentication server seems to work still. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Cecil on February 22, 2010, 01:25:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2010, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2010, 07:39:57 AM
The key to stopping piracy is to create good online modes that people will want to buy the game to play.
This DRM will just be cracked, the pirates will put all the more effort into doing it. I remember Spore had some pretty hardcore DRM which was cracked.

I suspect this new DRM is in fact an attempt to do just that.  You have to be online the whole time to play it.  It will still be hacked, but it will be harder for the average player to find pirate servers.  The goal of DRM is not to make it impossible for pirates to crack the game but to make difficult for the layman to used the cracked version.

The problem occurs when the pirated version is easier to use.

I don't know if it will be harder to use though.  I've never had DRM problems despite the monumental bitching I hear about it.  I wonder how much of the bitching from how hard it is to use is actually by pirates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

The fact that "unlimited installs" has become a feature to be advertised really irritates me.