UK-Israel relations hit the rocks over Dubai assanation

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2010, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 10:58:27 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 08:27:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2010, 08:02:11 PM
Let's not overstate Israeli professionalism.  I've heard first-hand accounts of IDF troops throwing goats down wells and raping Palestinian children.

I thought it was the other way round.
pssst:  those are siegy's stories.

Well, he's a continent away and there are no wells near me, so I should be safe.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Huh.  Apparently there's some displeasure how it was carried out in Israel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ender

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 09:01:40 PM
And like 40% of Icelanders are actually descended for Irish slaves.

:lol: You can't get lower than that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2010, 08:22:04 PM
Of course.  It'd be weird if there wasn't, Israel's a decent, civilised country.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, I would imagine that this sort of thing goes down very badly in places like Tel Aviv.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2010, 08:28:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2010, 08:22:04 PM
Of course.  It'd be weird if there wasn't, Israel's a decent, civilised country.

The big gripe is the publicity, not that it was done or they used British passports.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2010, 09:01:15 AM
The big gripe is the publicity, not that it was done or they used British passports.
Actually I'd read that there were questions of who within the political structure knew about it and an unhappiness that the real identity of Israeli citizens was used.  Which I think is exactly the sort of reaction a similar operation would get in the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm curious about that part.  Is it because the actual dudes are somehow in danger now?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2010, 09:41:12 AM
I'm curious about that part.  Is it because the actual dudes are somehow in danger now?
I think it's more that it seems distasteful for any state to, in effect, steal the identity of some of its citizens.  The German's said that he gave his permission - or it was his real passport or something - but the Brit-Israelis, Irish-Israelis and French-Israelis all completely deny any knowledge of it.

However chances are they are now targets for retaliation, not as much as the agents of course and not, I imagine, terribly prioritised ones.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2010, 09:48:29 AM
However chances are they are now targets for retaliation, not as much as the agents of course and not, I imagine, terribly prioritised ones.
You think Hamas is going to try and kill some guys who had their passports stolen?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2010, 09:51:03 AM
You think Hamas is going to try and kill some guys who had their passports stolen?
They were the people who killed this guy and I doubt that Hamas will necessarily believe their protestations of ignorance.  I think that killing them would be higher on the list of priorities than, say, killing a random Israeli but that it'd be significantly lower than killing the actual agents or other figures.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 21, 2010, 09:53:51 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2010, 09:51:03 AM
They were the people who killed this guy and I doubt that Hamas will necessarily believe their protestations of ignorance.  I think that killing them would be higher on the list of priorities than, say, killing a random Israeli but that it'd be significantly lower than killing the actual agents or other figures.
Killing random Israelis seems pretty high on the list of Hamas' priorities.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on February 21, 2010, 10:27:04 AM
Killing random Israelis seems pretty high on the list of Hamas' priorities.
That's because it's easier to do (or to try - the rockets aren't terribly effective) than, say, a big propagandistic attack on something important to Israeli identity, or an assassination of a prominent Israeli.  But I think all things being equal they wouldn't choose to kill random Israelis - even if that meant more deaths - they'd want to do something bigger.
Let's bomb Russia!