UK-Israel relations hit the rocks over Dubai assanation

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2010, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2010, 10:20:05 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 19, 2010, 12:26:47 AM
My ancestors killed and raped your ancestors.

In that order?  :P
Viking's ancestors, yes.  They were the ones that traveled in the Short Ships, as distinguished from the other Vikings in Long Ships.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 10:22:02 PM
And he damns the whole race.

My ancestors killed and raped your ancestors. So fuck you.

And now you are all fags.

How the mighty have fallen.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 10:30:28 AM

Viking's ancestors, yes.  They were the ones that traveled in the Short Ships, as distinguished from the other Vikings in Long Ships.

:lmfao:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 10:30:28 AM

:lmfao:

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 09:47:45 AM
You assume that what you see on the TV matches with your guesses as to what was planned and what happened, and then note that "the whole problem" is that you can assume that you can deduce the plan based on what you have seen about it on TV?  :lol:

How perfectly circular.  Not at all convincing, but one cannot have everything.

You misinterpret slightly. That line was meant to suggest that the fact that we can see any part of the operation on TV is the whole problem. I am sure the Israelis did not intend to carry out an assassination in the glare of such publicity.

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2010, 09:47:45 AM
At least you recognize that the use of real passport names/numbers isn't "basically" part of "the whole problem."

Of course not. Inventing identities probably went out with the Fifties. It's far too easy to cross reference such things these days. I merely object to them using passports from a nation they promised they wouldn't do so from, especially given the neccessity of both nation's intelligence services to co-operate against Islamic terrorism. Despite our historical connections to the Middle East, I am sure using our passports was not the only option.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 01:59:28 PM
You misinterpret slightly. That line was meant to suggest that the fact that we can see any part of the operation on TV is the whole problem. I am sure the Israelis did not intend to carry out an assassination in the glare of such publicity.
What we see could all be disinformation, for all we know.  In any case, what we see isn't enough for an objective person (IMO) to call the operation "botched."  It is entirely possible that what we can see, if part of the op, was unavoidably public.

We just don't know enough to tell, let alone to be vehement, IMO.

QuoteOf course not. Inventing identities probably went out with the Fifties. It's far too easy to cross reference such things these days. I merely object to them using passports from a nation they promised they wouldn't do so from, especially given the neccessity of both nation's intelligence services to co-operate against Islamic terrorism. Despite our historical connections to the Middle East, I am sure using our passports was not the only option.
You = UK, or something more personal?

I'd be surprised if we knew about all of the passports that were forged, and don't see the outrage that some were from the UK.  Sure, the UK government went through the motions of asking the Israelis to not use UK passports, and sure the Israelis went through the motions of promising they wouldn't.  I am sure HMG will insist on a re-utterance of the promise and that the Israelis will comply.  That will make it great spycraft for the Israeli's to use UK passports in the future.

I'd be surprised to see this having any effect on cooperation against terrorism.  These people are all grown up, and allowing one's own people to die rather than allow someone to give one information that would save them is childish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ender

Well, there was cctv in that hotel.
What did you guys expected them to do? Abort the mission?
Do you have any idea how hard is to locate a hamas operative that is lying low?
I don't think they would have had a second chance to to spill this cat's water.

I say job well done.

Ender

Besides, do we even know if those guys in the vids are the real strike team?
Those could be random tourists used by those Dubai cops so they don't look completely clueless.
After all, they have a dead body to answer for.

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 1970, 10:50:06 AMI'd be surprised to see this having any effect on cooperation against terrorism.  These people are all grown up, and allowing one's own people to die rather than allow someone to give one information that would save them is childish.

Brown and Milliband are more than stupid enough to throw the baby out with the bathwater, especially in an election year.

Unless there are bodyguards, who have not been mentioned, I honestly do not see why it took at least six people and twenty minutes to carry out an assassination of this kind. Get in, get out. Signs of torture (according to some news reports on YouTube) would suggest either the Israelis were indulging in a little revenge, which is unprofessional, or attempting to extract information, in which case it is remarkable he broke so quickly.

On a lighter note, Frank Skinner, having been isolated from all sources of news for a week, successfully guessed that two tennis gear clad individuals were trained assassins, and not members of parliament on a fact finding mission in Dubai (as the other two panelists guessed.)

The show being http://tvrage.com/shows/id-25081/, shown on the the BBC with BBC journalists forbidden from taking part.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 10:20:18 AM

Really?  When did Iceland invade the US?

We invaded your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother well before her bloodline moved to america.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Let's not overstate Israeli professionalism.  I've heard first-hand accounts of IDF troops throwing goats down wells and raping Palestinian children.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2010, 08:02:11 PM
Let's not overstate Israeli professionalism.  I've heard first-hand accounts of IDF troops throwing goats down wells and raping Palestinian children.

I thought it was the other way round.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on February 19, 2010, 07:54:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2010, 10:20:18 AM

Really?  When did Iceland invade the US?

We invaded your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother well before her bloodline moved to america.

There were precious few viking raids in to South Germany.  And like 40% of Icelanders are actually descended for Irish slaves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on February 19, 2010, 08:27:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2010, 08:02:11 PM

I thought it was the other way round.
pssst:  those are siegy's stories.

Bayraktar!