News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2010, 06:42:37 PM
Counting Dan Boyle (Franco-Ontarian) and Jonhattan Toews (Franco-Manitoban), I think there were a little more French players this time.

Toews is as german as he is franco. There are few more common mennonite names. I'm 1/4 Toews myself

Josephus

Well...that's over...Good Job Canada.

So now, shall we start discussing proroguing again.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on February 28, 2010, 07:30:11 PM
Well...that's over...Good Job Canada.

So now, shall we start discussing proroguing again.  :D
Why bother?  Canada won the Olympics, so Harper's gambit was justified.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

A good Olympics, all in all.

I keep wanting to shout at all the "doom and gloom" merchants over here moaning about our team's performance. So what about it if our target was three medals? One gold is better than three bronze in my book.

Well done Canada. Shame you're not hosting the next games.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 28, 2010, 07:18:36 PM
Toews is as german as he is franco. There are few more common mennonite names. I'm 1/4 Toews myself
The Toews of Toews Hill or Bag End?

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on February 28, 2010, 07:18:36 PMToews is as german as he is franco. There are few more common mennonite names. I'm 1/4 Toews myself

If he speaks French at home then he's a Francophone, whatever the provenance of his last name.  There has, apparently, been all sorts of intermarrying between communities in Canada's history, so it shouldn't be that shocking to find a Francophone with a Mennonite name.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2010, 08:00:04 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 28, 2010, 07:18:36 PMToews is as german as he is franco. There are few more common mennonite names. I'm 1/4 Toews myself

If he speaks French at home then he's a Francophone, whatever the provenance of his last name.  There has, apparently, been all sorts of intermarrying between communities in Canada's history, so it shouldn't be that shocking to find a Francophone with a Mennonite name.

Next you'll tell me i can find ethnic Chinese Mexicans :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Finally fixing the cauldron which didn't work at the Opening Ceremonies, and having Catherina Whatshername light it, was a nice touch. Well Done. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Have to give props to the old soviet anthem as being a cool song.  Still think non-communist Russia should've left it buried though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 28, 2010, 06:37:13 PM
I've been meaning to ask for the last few days & just haven't had a chance:  What kind of ink has Toews been getting in The Great White North for his Olympic play?  Because the Canadian games have been on almost exclusively in Prime Time I got to watch most of their play, and I was seeing Toews have a fucking MONSTER tournament for Canada.  I mean yeah, sure, as a Blackhawks fan I'm already a Toews fan, but from my living room it seemed like he did an awesome job defensively & especially killing penalties.  His point production (including his goal today) was more like the icing on the cake as opposed to the cake itself.  Or something...

Most commentators said he was best of the tournament, or close to it. He got lots of good press, Doughty also.
:p

Jacob

Who knew there was such a thing as an Olympic Anthem?

... and now, for Will Shatner  :lol:

BuddhaRhubarb

Nickelback, Avril Lavigne? :bleeding: Alanis however? :wub:
:p

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2010, 10:03:37 PM

Did he "speak" Oh Canada?! :w00t: 

Oh.....Canada.... *sips drink* Our................home and native land....*drag from the smoke*

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 28, 2010, 10:42:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2010, 10:03:37 PM

Did he "speak" Oh Canada?! :w00t: 

Oh.....Canada.... *sips drink* Our................home and native land....*drag from the smoke*

Almost.  Just wait for it to hit Youtube.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Drakken on February 28, 2010, 02:10:44 PM
Meh. Joanie Rochette actually lost her own mother (as in suddenly died) 24 hours after the latter arrived to Vancouver to support her, two days before the beginning of her figure skating competition, and she went to win the Bronze anyway.

HOTT and badass. :perv:

Grief isn't as hard to overcome as broken bones when it comes to giving world class athletic performances...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?