Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Oh, and just for curling fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlU_vvITynM

Heavy Metal Curling!  :punk:  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 11:01:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 06:16:48 PM
And we won gold in the sports that matter most: hockey and curling.   :showoff:

Know which sport Carl insisted on watching? Curling.

I tell you, if you'd visited four years ago, i'd be doubting his paternity.  :P

I knew I liked that lad.   :)

Believe it or not, curling is actually a great tv sport.  What really makes it is the mikes on the players - you can hear them think through every shot.  I can't think of any other sport where you get that kind of information right from the players themselves.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2010, 11:20:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 11:01:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 06:16:48 PM
And we won gold in the sports that matter most: hockey and curling.   :showoff:

Know which sport Carl insisted on watching? Curling.

I tell you, if you'd visited four years ago, i'd be doubting his paternity.  :P

I knew I liked that lad.   :)

Believe it or not, curling is actually a great tv sport.  What really makes it is the mikes on the players - you can hear them think through every shot.  I can't think of any other sport where you get that kind of information right from the players themselves.

Oh, I believe it. The rocks are large and slow-moving enough you can actually see the play. With hockey, you see the players but it is often difficult to track what is going on.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 11:09:26 AM
Oh, and just for curling fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlU_vvITynM

Heavy Metal Curling!  :punk:  :D

Already been posted, but I gladly repeat how fitting a girly band like Hammerfall is for women's curling. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2010, 04:39:06 AM
I thought the US was very lucky to only be down 2-1 at the end.  In the 2nd period Canada was raining down shots that either hit the post or took miracle saves.

The puck luck definitely favoured the Americans in that game.   The two shots in the beginning of the third that hit the post would have made for a lot less dramatic period.  But an old hockey saying is that hard work creates it own luck and the Americans did play hard.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 11:22:44 AM
With hockey, you see the players but it is often difficult to track what is going on.

I am beginning to think you and Josephus are not really Canadians but Monkeybutt sock puppets.

DGuller

It does suck that 90% of the time in hockey, the first time you know that the goal happened is when one team raises their sticks in celebration.  It would be nice to be able to see the goal yourself as it happens, before the scoring team spoils the result.

crazy canuck

I have no trouble following the puck.  I am not sure why others do.  I suppose its because I know where to look.

Grey Fox

Following the puck binds you to watching only one fact of Hockey. Instead of following the puck, try to follow the defense or the center when he doesn't have the puck.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2010, 01:16:35 PM
I have no trouble following the puck.  I am not sure why others do.  I suppose its because I know where to look.
I can follow the puck when it's in the middle of the field.  The problem is that when the goal is scored, the view of the puck is usually obstructed by the goalie and several other players near the goal.  Yes, one of the other cameras will show later in slow motion how the puck went between the goalie's legs, but by then the moment has passed. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2010, 01:25:55 PM
Following the puck binds you to watching only one fact of Hockey. Instead of following the puck, try to follow the defense or the center when he doesn't have the puck.

Its watching all of those actions that makes it easy to follow the puck.  You can tell where it is and you can anticipate when a scoring chance will occur.  I agree with you.  Perhaps the problem people are having is that they are trying to watch only the puck.

Grey Fox

That's true. Do people watching football only watch the ball?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Yeah, but I'm thinking you just may have a tad better understanding of the game than your average 4 year old.  :lol:

[In case you missed the context, the question was why Carl, age 4, preferred watching curling. The answer is that he could see the big, colourful and slow-moving rocks and so could get excited by the plays]

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 01:55:07 PM

Yeah, but I'm thinking you just may have a tad better understanding of the game than your average 4 year old.  :lol:

[In case you missed the context, the question was why Carl, age 4, preferred watching curling. The answer is that he could see the big, colourful and slow-moving rocks and so could get excited by the plays]

Perhaps CC was responding to DGul explaining how he's at about Carl's level?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2010, 01:55:07 PM

Give credit to Carl though.  Curling *is* a better game.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.