News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Nice little game between Canada and China in women's curling going on. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 01:52:27 AM
Thanks to Beeb, I now understood the rules of the game.  However, I have no feel for what is a good throw, and what is a bad one (unless it's down to a couple of shots of the end, where the objective is pretty clear).

Yeah... I was watching the Denmark vs China (a humiliating massacre  :cry:) and I never quite knew what was up except for a couple of obvious mistakes or during the last throw or two.  Complicated game.  Very interesting.

Barrister

Indeed - there can be quite a bit of strategy behind how you call a game.  I think entire books have even been written on curling strategy.

Unfortunately it's not something that can easily be explained in just a few lines on Languish, but if anyone is wondering about a specific shot or strategy I can try and help explain.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

That was a very good hockey game, I saw the last half (one and a half periods).  I am not much of a hockey fan but a close game like that is one of the most fun things to watch.  Miller was unbelievable.

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2010, 04:33:29 PM
If you want to drop sports, lets start with biathalon.

People sled, snowboard, ski, play hockey, and skate during the winter. I don't know anyone that skis around with rifles shooting things.

It's the quintessential "fuck the Russians" sport.  It should never be cut.  It's how Finland is still an independent nation, pretty much, which is more than can be said about any other sport.

Admiral Yi

Caught a bit of US-Sweden women's curling.  Sure is a chatty sport.  US skip, the little one, is kind of Milfy.  Swedish team was not chosen for their looks.

Jacob

Yeah the hockey game was pretty exciting.  I don't know what the fuck Brodeur was thinking.

Ape

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2010, 12:31:38 AM
  Swedish team was not chosen for their looks.
Which is why they are the reigning olympic champions  ;)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2010, 12:31:38 AM
Caught a bit of US-Sweden women's curling.  Sure is a chatty sport.  US skip, the little one, is kind of Milfy.  Swedish team was not chosen for their looks.

I thought there was just one skip(the big one, Debbie somethingorother).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2010, 12:16:15 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 19, 2010, 01:52:27 AM
Thanks to Beeb, I now understood the rules of the game.  However, I have no feel for what is a good throw, and what is a bad one (unless it's down to a couple of shots of the end, where the objective is pretty clear).

Yeah... I was watching the Denmark vs China (a humiliating massacre  :cry:)

Yes the Danes didn't look impressive at all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Speaking of underacheving at Winter Olympics, but didn't Austria use to be a powerhouse?
:unsure:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 22, 2010, 12:43:52 AM
I thought there was just one skip(the big one, Debbie somethingorother).
I saw the little one throwing some rocks.  If she throws she's a skip, no?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on February 22, 2010, 12:57:32 AM
Speaking of underacheving at Winter Olympics, but didn't Austria use to be a powerhouse?
Yup.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ape

Their having a generational switch, give them another olympic or two and they'll be back

sbr

It's tough to practice skiing and skating from the basement.