News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2010, 06:59:36 AM
Americans would probably feel better about the Olympics, if a new network would take the rights away from NBC.

Name a sporting event.  If NBC covers it, I'd fell better about it if another network took the rights away.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on February 15, 2010, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 15, 2010, 06:59:36 AM
Americans would probably feel better about the Olympics, if a new network would take the rights away from NBC.

Name a sporting event.  If NBC covers it, I'd fell better about it if another network took the rights away.

I didn't mind their Sunday Night Football package...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

NBC is doing a lot better this year. Less fluff, more competition. I'm not sure why they need to use tape delays for games on this continent though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

AnchorClanker

Not surprisingly, the Winter Olympics is not getting that much coverage (by American standards) as I am used to...
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2010, 05:32:28 PM
NBC is doing a lot better this year. Less fluff, more competition. I'm not sure why they need to use tape delays for games on this continent though.

Time-shifting.  Most events happen during the day, and NBC wants to show them during prime-time.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 05:55:32 PM

Time-shifting.  Most events happen during the day, and NBC wants to show them during prime-time.

It is still kind of BS. You wouldn't time shift any other sporting event so it is televised in primetime.

I remember growing up watching the U.S. hockey team in school--they would bring in televisions when the team was playing and we would stop classes to watch. When the games were on during lunch, most of the boys would stay in the classrooms and eat at our desks to keep watching. A tape delay just wouldn't be the same.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 15, 2010, 06:01:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2010, 05:55:32 PM

It is still kind of BS. You wouldn't time shift any other sporting event so it is televised in primetime.

I remember growing up watching the U.S. hockey team in school--they would bring in televisions when the team was playing and we would stop classes to watch. When the games were on during lunch, most of the boys would stay in the classrooms and eat at our desks to keep watching. A tape delay just wouldn't be the same.

Most other sports the networks have the influence to be able to convince the league to schedule games according to their own desires.  Why do you think there are so few daytime baseball games anymore?

But the Olympics are big enough, with worldwide television rights to sell, that no one broadcaster has that kind of pull.

That being said hockey tends to have a lot of late afternoon to evening games.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey-schedule-results/

Oh, and Olympic curling starts tomorrow. :cool:

Grey Fox

Martin gets 1 more chance to Olympic gold.

He better not fuck it up, again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

US is to 8 medals overall, double any other looser nation!

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on February 15, 2010, 07:38:12 PM

You guys are tight.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2010, 07:39:33 PM
Quote from: katmai on February 15, 2010, 07:38:12 PM

You guys are tight.

So says the one snowboarder, too tight even. :yes:

Eddie Teach

When did the US start being good at winter sports?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2010, 07:44:58 PM

Fall of the Iron Curtain?

Admiral Yi

When they let in all the X Game weirdness.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2010, 07:51:30 PM
When they let in all the X Game weirdness.

That would be just the Snowboard events which accounts for 6 events.