News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 04:30:25 PM
Because basketball sells tickets for the IOC. Unless baseball can prove they do the same, it won't get in.
True.  Baseball isn't much of a sport, and doesn't have much of a following.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/02/136_60814.html

QuoteApolo Ohno, the most decorated American short-track speed skater in Winter Olympic history, may also solidify his reputation as the most "ungentlemanly sportsman" in South Korea.

While his pictures showed up on the front pages of a handful of U.S. newspapers, he may not know that his name was on the front pages of the most, if not all, South Korean newspapers on the same day.

In America, he is famous. In South Korea he is notorious.

Lee Jung-su, the South Korean gold winner at the men's 1,500-meter short-track, accused Ohno of being "unqualified" to share the same awarding podium, publicly criticizing Ohno's rough play that was reportedly often done in a subtle manner and therefore went unnoticed in the eyes of the referees.

"Ohno didn't deserve to stand on the same medal podium," Lee said, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Lee was commenting on the manner Ohno played in the same match where the latter earned the silver by windfall when two other South Korean gold favorites -- Sung Si-bak and Lee Ho-suk -- crashed into each other in their final stretch toward the finish. Ohno was trailing behind them.

"Okay, it's technically not a foul play as long as the referees didn't notice. But (Ohno) used his arms too aggressively today."

Lee fumed: "I was so enraged that it was difficult for me to contain myself even as I was doing a winner's ceremony."

Among South Koreans, Ohno's name is synonymous to an "ungentlemanly athlete" with a good reason.

At the 2002 Winter Olympics, in the 1500 m race, Ohno won the gold medal, with a time of 2:18.541. During the 1500 m final race, South Korean Kim Dong-Sung was actually first across the finish line, but was disqualified for blocking Ohno, in what is called "cross tracking."

Ohno was in second place with three laps remaining, and on his third attempt to pass on the final lap, Kim drifted slightly to the inside where Ohno raised his arms and came out of his crouch to signal that he was blocked.

Fourth-place finisher of the same race, Fabio Carta of Italy, showed his disagreement with the judge's decision, saying that it was "absurd that the Korean was disqualified."

The disqualification upset South Korean supporters, many of whom directed their anger at Ohno.

The incident so enraged Koreans that some say he contributed to instigating anti-American sentiment in South Korea.

:nelson:

Ed Anger

Maybe they'll stone Tim in response.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Not a fan of Ohno either.  The douchebaggery seems to emanate from him.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 04:30:25 PM
Quote from: dps on February 14, 2010, 03:58:59 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 03:47:54 PM
Baseball tournament is simply too long.

No longer than basketball, and basketball isn't getting kicked out.

Because basketball sells tickets for the IOC. Unless baseball can prove they do the same, it won't get in.

Then why didn't you say that in the first place, instead of that bullshit about the tournament taking too long? 

dps

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2010, 07:22:02 PM

Me neither.  His name reminds me too much of Yoko.   ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2010, 07:22:02 PM
Like what?

Ed Anger

I've watched Women's hockey a bit today, and I must say:

IT SUCKS.

No hitting, little league blowouts and no hotness.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 14, 2010, 07:38:58 PM

IT SUCKS.

Kinda hard to judge hotness when the players are wearing facemasks and enough padding in their baggy uniforms to survive a fall off a tall building.
I thought what I could make out of the Swiss goalie who let 17 pucks go between her legs yesteday, that she was pretty cute.

But I imagine most are lesbians. And I also imagine that right after the game, the clothes come off and its one big orgy in the steam showers.

I imagine.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 14, 2010, 07:38:58 PM

IT SUCKS.

Olympic hockey is a step down to start with, but women's hockey is just terrible, since only Canada and the US have real programs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Interestingly enough, tonight's Simpsons episode was about curling.  It was a horrifically dreadful episode, barely batter than average for the last few seasons.

Grey Fox

Alex Bilodeau wins GOLD!

CANADA! CANADA!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

There is Canada's first Gold.  Alex Biladeau.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 09:20:37 PM
Alex Bilodeau wins GOLD!

CANADA! CANADA!

Ew a Quacker, so not a real Canadian.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on February 14, 2010, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 14, 2010, 09:20:37 PM
Alex Bilodeau wins GOLD!

CANADA! CANADA!

Ew a Quacker, so not a real Canadian.