News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

The just interviewed the German who planned/constructed the luge track. He seemed visibly shaken, but said, quite naturally, that all security checks were performed, and essentially that there was extremely little chance of this happening. He also admitted, though, that track construction has probably hit the speed limit and that future constructions would probably add technical difficulty, and give up some speed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 11:54:13 AM
Her name is on almost everything that has to do with skiing in this country. Hence my question about you living under a rock.  Turns out you were living on one.
He also lives in Ontario.  Not exactly skiing territory.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 11:55:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2010, 11:18:40 AM
I know who Nancy Greene is but you should all be ashamed that you all forgot Catriona Lemay-Doan.
Why do you think anyone forgot about Doan?  Josephus said he didnt know who the female athlete of the 20th century was.
Let's be fair.  The female athlete of the 20th century is much less significant than a total loser like Mats Sundin.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Strix

Ok, enough ignoring the 400 lbs Gorilla in the back of the room.

SO, can Canada finally win a Gold medal when hosting an Olympics? Or will the streak continue....
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on February 13, 2010, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 11:55:52 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2010, 11:18:40 AM
I know who Nancy Greene is but you should all be ashamed that you all forgot Catriona Lemay-Doan.
Why do you think anyone forgot about Doan?  Josephus said he didnt know who the female athlete of the 20th century was.
Let's be fair.  The female athlete of the 20th century is much less significant than a total loser like Mats Sundin.

:rolleyes: It's "looser".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Strix on February 13, 2010, 12:13:50 PM
Ok, enough ignoring the 400 lbs Gorilla in the back of the room.

SO, can Canada finally win a Gold medal when hosting an Olympics? Or will the streak continue....

If no one wins a gold this year, Olympic sports will die in Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 11:54:13 AM

Her name is on almost everything that has to do with skiing in this country. Hence my question about you living under a rock.  Turns out you were living on one.

Fair enough. But I don't ski. You, as one can tell by looking at your avatar, do and are a fan of the sport. I'm sure, nay convinced, that prior to yesterday, most (the majority of) Canadians hadn't heard of her either.

Now can you tell me who captained Canada's soccer team in the 1982 World Cup? I can--without Googling.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

The investigation is over, it was human error by the Georgian luger that caused the accident.  Of course, the question shouldn't be about the cause of the accident, but rather why it turned out to be so bad, but asking the right question goes a long way towards getting the answer you want.

sbr

Making an error shouldn't get you killed on an Olympic sled course.  There is no excuse for the lack of practice time the athletes have been given, and for there to be no safety net or padding on a corner that is known as 50/50 corner (for the odds of getting through it properly).

crazy canuck

given the number of golds we have won since 88, either you know nothing about recent olympic history or you are just trolling.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 01:10:49 PM
I'm sure, nay convinced, that prior to yesterday, most (the majority of) Canadians hadn't heard of her either.

I would be shocked if that was true.  It is one thing for a denizen of an internet forum from Malta not to have heard of one of our most Iconic sports heroes but quite another for the majority of Canadians to suffer from the same lack of knowledge.

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 04:51:26 PM

given the number of golds we have won since 88, either you know nothing about recent olympic history or you are just trolling.

But Canada has never won a gold medal in an Olympics that was held in Canada.   :huh:

Agelastus

Quote from: sbr on February 13, 2010, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 04:51:26 PM

But Canada has never won a gold medal in an Olympics that was held in Canada.   :huh:

And are, I believe,  the only host nation of a Winter Games NOT to win a Gold medal when hosting - the BBC has been playing up that angle all evening (mainly because the skiing I wanted to watch was cancelled! :mad:)

I must admit its quite amusing that it was 12 degrees C warmer in Vancouver than it was at the Ireland-France Six Nations match today! :lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2010, 04:53:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 13, 2010, 01:10:49 PM
I'm sure, nay convinced, that prior to yesterday, most (the majority of) Canadians hadn't heard of her either.

I would be shocked if that was true.  It is one thing for a denizen of an internet forum from Malta not to have heard of one of our most Iconic sports heroes but quite another for the majority of Canadians to suffer from the same lack of knowledge.

I wish there was a way of finding out cause i'm convinced I'm right. Keep in mind the majority of people currently living here, were not here in 1968. And while obviously you didn't have to be here in the 80s to know of Wayne Gretzky she's not in the same boat.

Whilst I am not a lawyer, and don't have post graduate degrees, I think, and people who know me agree, that I'm fairly intellectual and well read. The fact that I never heard of her speaks volumes.

I'm convinced your average meat and potatoes Canadian hasn't either.

Like I said, this will forever be my argument against yours, as there's no way of finding out. Remember, even Neil admitted he had to Google her.

I wish other Canadian on here can chime in on this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Who the fuck is Wayne Gretzky?

All you Canadians look alike.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son