News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Turkey for the EU!

Started by The Brain, February 04, 2010, 04:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Also we let the bloody Greeks in.  I'd take Turkey over Greece any day.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:41:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2010, 04:56:36 PM
Turkey only has 400 murders a year?
That can't be true, surely?

Letting Turkey in is right because they deserve it once they've made some more of the necessary changes to solidify their democracy.  On the other hand we should kick out the Cypriots.

Edit: And the Baltics and Romania and Bulgaria.
Once you let in greece it became hard to keep turkey out. They're the same, excpet the turks are less annoying.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:58:15 PM
Great minds! :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

It really is quite ironic how much the Turks hate any mention of Kurdish independance yet without the Kurdish areas Turkey would be a pretty decent developed country, in the EU long since.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

I call BS on the murder figure.  No fucking way it is 400 in a country of, what, 70-80 million?

Viking

Baltimore should import kurdish shitfuck fanatics... might make the place more peaceful...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Agelastus

Hmmm...

(1) I need to reread articles before I post (see my error above.)

(2) According to 2004 statistics, Turkey should have around 4500 murders a year. However, given the massive jump over the 2002 and 2003 statistics, I suspect that Turkey actually has around 2800 murders a year.

In comparison, Britain has around 1200 murders a year, based on the same source.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2010, 04:56:36 PM
Turkey only has 400 murders a year?
That was my sole reaction to this otherwise pedestrian piece.

I have no opinion, actually, on the main topic (TU to the EU). Too many imponderables.  The EU is either a composite of all the Eurocentrism that Europe has always been, or it sees itself as a civilizing element.  I don't know which is true, or which is desirable, but the distinction drives the whole "Turkey for the EU" debate and until Euros decide what they are my opinion matters not, so I won't have one.

I think the Euros should base this decision on self-interest alone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2010, 06:48:39 PMI think the Euros should base this decision on self-interest alone.

I'm pretty sure they will.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 04, 2010, 06:52:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2010, 06:48:39 PMI think the Euros should base this decision on self-interest alone.

I'm pretty sure they will.
Alas I think a significant portion will base it on a dislike of Muslims, foreigners/outsiders and browner people.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martim Silva

Quote from: Agelastus on February 04, 2010, 05:19:38 PM
Letting Turkey into the EU is the best way of making sure the non-freaks remain in charge in Turkey. I consider that a laudable goal, don't you?

Unfortunately, taking into account those who are in charge of the EU now, I suspect being into the EU is the best way to ensure that the biggest loons get to rule the country.

Quote from: Agelastus
I think Turkey should be allowed into the EU, but maybe that's because I worked alongside a secular Turk for several years (who kept trying to set me up with a Japanese girl she knew, but everybody has their little foibles after all...)

1. No point on wondering, Europe today is WAY too broke to accept anyone, no matter what.

2. I'm divided on the issue, because rejecting Turkey would be the same as saying that Constantinople is not European (and giving up Cappadocia and Bythinia, for that matter), and that is really not accceptable.

3. I take it the Japanese girl was not your type. Did you made any gaffe while talking to her? I suspect you did your best to look good.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2010, 05:58:15 PM

Under the circumstances, swapping them out looks like a pretty good deal.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2010, 06:05:19 PM
I call BS on the murder figure.  No fucking way it is 400 in a country of, what, 70-80 million?
Germany had 318 successful and 376 attempted cases of first degree murder in 2008. There were also 338 successful and 1184 attempted cases of manslaughter and other homicides.

So if they just count the successful first degree murders, 400 seems to be a possible number for a country the size of Turkey. 

Zanza

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 04, 2010, 07:36:07 PM2. I'm divided on the issue, because rejecting Turkey would be the same as saying that Constantinople is not European (and giving up Cappadocia and Bythinia, for that matter), and that is really not accceptable.
Why? I would not admit Russia (any time soon) and would still say that Kaliningrad or Moscow are clearly European.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2010, 06:05:19 PM

Germany, with a similar size of population, had 370 homicide victims in 2008, and again as many attempted murders. Also, 97.6% of the cases were solved.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.