News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apple to upset the tech cart on Wednesday

Started by CountDeMoney, January 26, 2010, 06:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Anywho, while I consider the iPad a gimped product overall for its type, the A4 chip it runs on seems to have some nice capabilities, which I'm sure Apple will slowly (very slowly) begin to leverage with future updates to the device.

This type of processor exists elsewhere (e.g., the Tegra processor on my Zune HD), but it's a good thing for Apple consumers that it is appearing for them. 

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/188146/apple_inside_the_significance_of_the_ipads_a4_chip.html
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Malthus on January 29, 2010, 01:32:21 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 29, 2010, 01:26:14 PM

Nope. you read it wrong. It's not new tech. It's dumbed down lego block tech.

Buying a mac book pro and running actual software is enjoying new technology. Buy some half broken e-book reader from apple for a few bucks (you get what you pay for) is not enjoying new tech. My use of the term luddite was incorrect in a grumbleresque "the term must be used in the exact definition of the word kind of way". I was crassly lumping together old people who only know how to get email, and surf facebook with the aforementioned luddites. I am aware that by even using a computer you aren't much of a luddite, but people will always disappoint you if you hang on to stereotypes..

sorry for the confusion.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting certain results rather than being fascinated by the tech. I just want to play games, surf the net and watch movies - I don't want to have to become an expert in how to do that.

I am not, however, yet convinced that this new product is better than others for this. 

yeah. that's what I'm saying. I personally prefer to use a more full featured tool. However I'm sure that those i was mocking (mostly to make myself feel better than "them". :p ... not really, it's the internet and I enjoy being contrary)

I think for some people the ipad will fill those needs you identify perfectly fine, for others not so much. Luckily there are lots of products to do all those things.
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 28, 2010, 01:13:06 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 28, 2010, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 28, 2010, 01:00:36 PM
It's a 1st gen hardware. So of course it's kind of broken. Needs real world user experience and input before it actually becomes useful, cheaper. Like the iphone, the 1st gen ones were bricks compared to the new models. never buy 1st gen unless you like being an extended beta tester.

my reaction to it as a whole= :mellow:

Oh yeah the bugs and such will have to be ironed out by the customers' feedback.

But do you really think the lack of a flash player, various commonly used ports, etc. are things that never crossed the mind of the Apple crew? Come on.

I'm sure they did. But as others have also said: Apple (and lots of other companies) bring out unfinished products all the time. They are listening for what people scream the loudest about lacking, then bring out a slightly more expensive version with some of those changes, but not all, those are for rounds 2 and 3 etc.

It's all about getting people to spend money.
Early adopters are the sort of idiots who will buy the 2nd generation again when it comes out anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 29, 2010, 01:42:17 PM
yeah. that's what I'm saying. I personally prefer to use a more full featured tool. However I'm sure that those i was mocking (mostly to make myself feel better than "them". :p ... not really, it's the internet and I enjoy being contrary)
:P  And, of course, you call your behavior "grumbleresque" rather than "buddhaesque" even though it is the behavior you admit you enjoy and which you would admit I don't even indulge in, because you are so modest!  Thanks for the attempted compliment, but when you want to refer to being contrary and judgemental, just label the behavior buddhaesque.  No need to slag me at all, even in threads to which I am not contributing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!