And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Politics - Proroguing? Again?

Started by Jacob, December 31, 2009, 01:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 09, 2010, 10:06:42 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2010, 04:38:43 AM
What stuff happening now will get killed?  And what does it mean when something gets killed?

Anything that dies on the Order Paper when Parliament is prorogued can simply be reintroduced when the new sitting of Parliament resumes.

another thought for those suspicious types Buddha.  If they actually kept Parliament open during the olympics they would be accused of trying to force through legislation while the attention of the nation was diverted by the olympics - just as they were accused of announcing the prorogation when the hockey team was announced. :rolleyes:

not by me. They should be doing their jobs. I don't get any time off during the Olympics, in fact I'm told constantly how it's going to hamper me whilst I'm trying to traverse my own city (slower transit, dumbass over security, free speech zones etc et, al.) The Olympics is doing shit for me except annoy me almost as much as the crap going on or not going on in either my Provincial or National Capitol. :shrug: whatever though.

It'll be over soon, on all fronts it seems. Olympics we will be rid of in a couple of months and maybe a spring election, which I expect Harper to win handily, because of that complacency he's said he's counting on. Instead of talking about policy he simply mentioned that one great Canadian Magic Word: "JOBS". Canadians across the country, especially in heavy pogey use areas such as the east coast are always bowing down to the promise of Jobs. That's why we infest your urban areas in the Central and Western lands. Jobs.

Every Canadian's main concern really is Jobs. It's hardwired. So yeah. He's saying all the right things for the lowest common denominator. Which is not me. I can only stand back and hope for the odd crumb.
:p

Josephus

About 3500 people show up to protest Harper's burning of the reichstag proroguation of parliament, and there were also protests across the country and--in London, England, just in case.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/01/23/prorogue-protests.html

Rallies are underway in towns and cities across Canada Saturday, as protesters gather to speak out against Prime Minister Stephen Harper's decision to suspend Parliament until March 3.

More than 60 rallies are planned across Canada, with protests also slated for London, England, and several U.S. cities.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff addressed the crowd on Parliament Hill Saturday afternoon, commending protesters for their campaign to send MPs back to work.

"This is a demonstration that shows that Canadians understand their democracy, care for their democracy, and if necessary will fight for their democracy," Ignatieff said. "This demonstration does not belong to the politicians of any party, it belongs to the Canadian people."

MPs were supposed to return to work Jan. 25 after a holiday break, but Harper said he moved to delay the resumption of Parliament in order to focus on strategies for Canada's economy.

Ignatieff said Liberal MPs will be back at work Monday, despite the prorogation, to hold public meetings.
Layton calls for law limiting power to prorogue

NDP leader Jack Layton also addressed the crowd in Ottawa, using the rally to reiterate his call for the introduction of a new law that would limit the prime minister's power to prorogue Parliament.

Layton also called on the prime minister to recall parliament and send MPs back to work.

"I get the impression that you'd like your representatives to be at work on your behalf starting tomorrow," Layton told the cheering crowd. "Sorry ... Monday — we're jumping the gun."

RCMP in Ottawa estimated that roughly 3,500 people had gathered on Parliament Hill shortly after the protest began at 1 p.m. ET.

In Toronto, more than 7,000 people gathered at Yonge-Dundas Square to protest against the suspension of Parliament. Some people took the protest out onto the street, chanting and waving placards as they marched down Yonge Street.

Several hundred people attended the anti-prorogation rally in Halifax Saturday.

"We can't use prorogation to run from our problems. Canada knows that that can't happen and we're making sure that they all know that too," said Brendan Sommerhalder, one of the organizers of the Halifax rally.

The anti-prorogation movement gained momentum after a Facebook group was created condemning Harper's decision to suspend the parliamentary session. More than 200,000 people have joined the site and rally organizers used the social networking medium to help organize Saturday's protests.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

It's all well and good for Layton to say how bad prorogation is:  He'll never be part of a government, and thus will never have any responsibility or power.  It's sort of like how the NDP of the 70s and 80s used to call for Canada to join the Warsaw Pact.

At any rate, it's fun watching the feebleminded get all worked up.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on January 23, 2010, 04:19:05 PM
At any rate, it's fun watching the feebleminded get all worked up.

I haven't seen him yet. What's Harper getting all worked up over?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011