News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Polyamory and you

Started by Martinus, January 20, 2010, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would some form of "open" relationship be acceptable to you?

I would be happy to live in a polyamorous relationship with several people.
5 (10.4%)
I wouldn't mind to be in an "open" relationship, but there must be only one "primary" partner.
7 (14.6%)
I wouldn't mind some level of "openess" but there would need to be rules/limitations (e.g. no kissing, or no fucking or never with the same person twice)
3 (6.3%)
Only as part of group sex/if both of me and my partner were involved
8 (16.7%)
No.
25 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2010, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2010, 05:35:10 PM
Oh...let me flame you to hold on :P
It was mine.  I've moderated over the years :)

Oh...because I was about to say I searched the thread and you were only saying intelligent things. :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2010, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 22, 2010, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2010, 07:36:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2010, 09:59:26 AMThe reverse assumption appears to be that a marriage that *did* end in divorce was of necessity entirely a "failure". I don't believe that, either.

Err... how is it not? The marriage is an exclusive union of two people "until the death do us part". A divorce is by definition a failure of an arrangement thus defined.

The point of the relationship is not that it end in death, it is that it was worthwhile while you were alive. Marriages may end in divorce because the partners have drifted apart, but the may have been very good while they lasted.

Same with friendships. I've lost touch with many friends over the years; there are however very few people I actively regret having been friends with.

I would not count a marriage that ends because the partners have drifted apart after many good years as a "failure".
Wrong.

Marriage vows ARE until death - that's what people who get married vow unto each other (unless they are some hippies who write their own vows and shit, but we can discount this as an anomaly). While your approach is sensible and realistic, that of marriage (at least in theory) is not, and it is an utopia as much as a polyamorous relationship is (in your own words).

Traditional marriage vows have had all sorts of crap in them besides "till death do us part"--including for the wife to obey. Is the degree of compliance with the vows really the measure of a marriage's success? I'm with Malthus on this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2010, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2010, 05:35:10 PM
Oh...let me flame you to hold on :P
It was mine.  I've moderated over the years :)

I think many of us go through that phase.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on January 23, 2010, 06:05:51 PM
Traditional marriage vows have had all sorts of crap in them besides "till death do us part"--including for the wife to obey.
My wife, while initially reluctant, vowed to obey.  Christian fundamentalism has worked to my advantage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.