And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to double down if Brown wins.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2010, 07:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2010, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2010, 08:53:41 AM
I'd like to see how that question was actually worded.
We had this before.  The question was worded pretty straight.  "Do you think ACORN stole (helped to steal?)  the election for Obama."
We did go over this before but the question was not at all clear-cut: "Do you think that Barack Obama legitimately won the Presidential election last year, or do you think that ACORN stole it for him?"  The pretense here is that these are the only two possible outcomes, which is false.  If you think that Obama didn't "legitimately" win but don't even know what Acorn is, how do you vote?  You don't vote "don't know" because you do know.

As I pointed out at the time, this poll looks pretty crap to me.   
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I don't think adding "I don't know" would make the poll any better.  Especially when you deal with crazy conspiracy theories which tend to buttress themselves with ignorance.  Sometimes "I don't know" is a valid answer (Do you think it will rain next week?), other times it just isn't (Do you think the earth is controlled by lizard people).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2010, 07:51:12 PM
I don't think adding "I don't know" would make the poll any better.  Especially when you deal with crazy conspiracy theories which tend to buttress themselves with ignorance.  Sometimes "I don't know" is a valid answer (Do you think it will rain next week?), other times it just isn't (Do you think the earth is controlled by lizard people).
Yeah, but an election delivered by fraud isn't really all that crazy, given the extensive history of American electoral fraud.  These days it's far more difficult than at any time before, but within living memory of many voters there was an election that was won fraudulently (1960).
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on January 19, 2010, 07:57:35 PM
Yeah, but an election delivered by fraud isn't really all that crazy, given the extensive history of American electoral fraud.  These days it's far more difficult than at any time before, but within living memory of many voters there was an election that was won fraudulently (1960).

Not really. Kennedy didn't need Illinois.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2010, 08:01:29 PM

He needed Illinois and Texas.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

Quote from: Neil on January 19, 2010, 08:04:23 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2010, 08:01:29 PM

He won Texas. Republicans didn't make inroads into the state until the 70s and 80s.

Eddie Teach

No, he needed Illinois OR Texas. He won 303-219 with both.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2010, 08:22:52 PM

No, he needed Illinois OR Texas. He won 303-219 with both.
But those were the states that were fraudulently taken by the Democratic machine.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Brown up by 5% according to Fox News.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2010, 07:51:12 PM
What would make the poll better would be to ask questions that can be answered in that format.  "Do you think it will rain next week, or do you think the earth is controlled by lizard people?" isn't a very good question for that format.  "Do you think Obama won the election legitimately? (Yes/No/Undecided)" would work.  If one is interested in following up on ACORN (rather than push-polling) one would then ask "If you answered no above, do you think his lack of legitimacy comes from ACORN's help? (yes/No/Undecided)"

The way the issue was actually push-polled, I think it is useless except to help stir up polemics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I wonder if you can still pay him to take off his clothes after he's elected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2010, 08:56:39 PM
I wonder if you can still pay him to take off his clothes after he's elected.
Earlier I predicted that the gay vote would put him over the top.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2010, 08:57:51 PM
Earlier I predicted that the gay vote would put him over the top.  :cool:

I'm gay and I called my parents! :w00t: