And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to double down if Brown wins.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 19, 2010, 07:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2010, 10:31:50 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 08:04:16 AM
I wonder. It's a bit much to say that Obama's policies have had nothign to do with the Democrat loss in Massachussetts, and New Jersey, and Virginia.
While I can't say anything definitive on two of those states besides stuff everyone else already knows, I can assure you that Obama had nothing to do with New Jersey result.  Corzine was deeply unpopular on his own merits for far longer than Obama has been a president.  I think we let the morons on cable news networks dictate too much of a narrative.

Oh, being from Jersey I'm well aware. But how many times do Democrats have to lose before we say part of hte problem is Obama?

derspiess

Quote from: Grallon on January 19, 2010, 07:44:15 AM
This constant wondering about "Will Obama lasts - Is it Obama's death breat - Whaaa, when will somebody save us from Obama!" is getting really tiresome. 

So... to keep you happy we should only voice praise for Obama?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 08:04:16 AM
Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2010, 07:40:52 AM
:mellow:

Whether or not Brown wins has nothing to do with health care and everything to do with the very poor campaign Coakley has run.

I wonder. It's a bit much to say that Obama's policies have had nothign to do with the Democrat loss in Massachussetts, and New Jersey, and Virginia.
As a resident of Massachusetts it seems quite clear to me that this election is at least as much to do with the national political scene and people's anger over it as anything with Coakley running a bad campaign. I'd say her bad campaign hurt her for sure, but isn't the worst of her problems, since a pretty well known Democrat like her (won the primaries against some decent Dems) should be doing quite well in this final election. I feel that the Democratic party leadership shouldn't continue finding too many other local reasons instead of putting some good blame on the national scene. Or keep ignoring national implications at their own folly. Even if Brown just does well that would be a good sized change for Massachusetts.

Grallon

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2010, 10:49:34 AM

A little less bad faith when criticizing his policies would please me better.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on January 19, 2010, 10:45:56 AM
Oh, being from Jersey I'm well aware. But how many times do Democrats have to lose before we say part of hte problem is Obama?
After November we can say that.  However, even then, Obama's biggest fault would be being the target of Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Caliga

While I can't say anything definitive on two of those states besides stuff everyone else already knows, I can assure you that Obama had nothing to do with New Jersey result.  Corzine was deeply unpopular on his own merits for far longer than Obama has been a president.  I think we let the morons on cable news networks dictate too much of a narrative.
:yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Grallon on January 19, 2010, 11:30:47 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2010, 10:49:34 AM

A little less bad faith when criticizing his policies would please me better.

So I take it you feel guilty now for all your anti-Bush vitriol?  ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grallon

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2010, 12:21:40 PM

So I take it you feel guilty now for all your anti-Bush vitriol?  ;)

Except that the Cheney Administration worked hard to deserve all the vitriol it got.  ;) 

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2010, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2010, 08:53:41 AM
I'd like to see how that question was actually worded.
We had this before.  The question was worded pretty straight.  "Do you think ACORN stole (helped to steal?)  the election for Obama."

Is it impossible to think that ACORN might've engaged in voter fraud and attempted to steal the election without Obama actually needing them to win or having had any knowledge whatsoever of their activities?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fate

Quote from: Habbaku on January 19, 2010, 12:51:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2010, 09:02:33 AM
Quote from: dps on January 19, 2010, 08:53:41 AM
I'd like to see how that question was actually worded.
We had this before.  The question was worded pretty straight.  "Do you think ACORN stole (helped to steal?)  the election for Obama."

Is it impossible to think that ACORN might've engaged in voter fraud and attempted to steal the election without Obama actually needing them to win or having had any knowledge whatsoever of their activities?

ACORN provided Obama with victory. There's no question about it. I saw it on FOXNEWS.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 19, 2010, 12:51:43 PM
Eminently possible.  But that's not what the survey question asked.

Eddie Teach

And an upstate New York house race was part of that narrative until the Democrats won and it was conveniently forgotten.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 19, 2010, 01:19:48 PM

And an upstate New York house race was part of that narrative until the Democrats won and it was conveniently forgotten.

NY23 was a victory for conservatives. It proved that the Tea Party Movement will define our generation of politics similar to civil rights activists of the 60s.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 19, 2010, 07:25:17 AM
While on a personal level I'd find this kind of fortitude admirable if he actually goes through with it, I don't think it's smart politics. If he couldn't sell his plan to the liberal population of Massachusetts what makes him so confident that he can successfully recalibrate and sell his message to the voters while at the same time convincing spooked blue dogs and/or disgusted progressives to vote for the current health care bill?

It's brilliant politics.  If the bill fails nothing bad comes of it, health care remains broken and Barack can blame the Republicans.  The Republicans would be better off if Coakley won, or if they didn't filibuster; that way whatever problems there are with the bill become the fault of the Democrats and can be exploited in the next election cycle.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on January 19, 2010, 06:06:27 PM
It's brilliant politics.  If the bill fails nothing bad comes of it, health care remains broken and Barack can blame the Republicans.

It didn't work for Clinton in '93-'94.  The Republicans blocked health care Reform, and were rewarded with a Congressional majority.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.