News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British humour at its finest

Started by Slargos, January 15, 2010, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

I am left speechless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242682/Family-shut-dream-home-gang-gipsies-moved-Christmas.html#ixzz0ccjXf0Kq

QuoteWith the building works nearly over, Julian and Samantha Mosedale and their three children were looking forward to moving back into the home of their dreams.
But their hopes have turned into a nightmare because a group of Romanians occupied the property over Christmas. 
To add insult to injury, police told them that they were being 'racist' for questioning the squatters' right to live in Britain on benefits.   Julian and Samantha Mosedale with their children Finn, Jake and Toby (left to right) had hoped to move back into their 'dream home' in March Locked out: Julian and Samantha Mosedale with their children Finn, Jake and Toby (left to right) had hoped to move back into their 'dream home' in MarchThe unwanted guests have changed the locks at the three-bedroom terrace house and moved in their own furniture. 
Mr Mosedale, an illustrator, and his wife, a catalogue manager, both 45, had moved out of the house in Tottenham, North London, in July 2007 for extensive structural and renovation work.
They rented another property and regularly visited the £285,000 house to oversee progress. 
But, after spending Christmas visiting relatives in Essex, they returned to the house on January 3 to find the squatters installed.
They now fear they could soon be homeless because they can only afford to foot the cost of rent and mortgage payments until March.
Mrs Mosedale, whose three sons are ten, eight, and five, said: 'We called the police as soon as we found out they were in there. An officer suggested I was racist when I asked if they were Romanians, and did they have a legal right to be in this country.

Sheilbh

Jesus.  This is like a Daily Mail perfect storm: immigrants and property.  If only there were a Royal wedding too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Why would they be homeless?  Just walk in and chase the squatters out with a broom.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 02:48:11 PM
Jesus.  This is like a Daily Mail perfect storm: immigrants and property.  If only there were a Royal wedding too.

I expect the Romanians are related to the King of the Gypsies  :D

Cecil

Romanians aye?

I´m gonna hazard a guess and say that romanians would find that description to be offensive because I think I know what these people are.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Cecil on January 15, 2010, 02:54:26 PM
Romanians aye?

I´m gonna hazard a guess and say that romanians would find that description to be offensive because I think I know what these people are.
Look at the link, for the Daily Mail they're interchangeable:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242682/Family-shut-dream-home-gang-gipsies-moved-Christmas.html#ixzz0ccjXf0Kq

This reminds me of the grouping of neo-Fascist and ultra-nationalist parties in the European Parliament.  It fell apart because Italian members routinely accused their Romanian colleagues of being gypsies :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

The mother needs a smack to her head to set her eyes straight.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

My personal opinion is that some bastard Londoner rented out the house to the Romanian gypsies to make a quick few hundred £.

Private enterprise, the only thing that will get us out of this terrible recession.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Gotta love the typical tabloid photo of the poor family looking horrified too :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I take offense with the dad's "look at me I'm cool" doubly whammy of unbuttoned shirt and messy hair.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2010, 03:14:07 PM
I take offense with the dad's "look at me I'm cool" doubly whammy of unbuttoned shirt and messy hair.

And that slight head tilt.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

That house is worth 285,000 GBP? WTF.

Slargos

:rolleyes:

Evicting squatters isn't exactly easy, at least in Sweden and Norway. It appears to be equally difficult in England.

2006, iirc, saw a case like this blow up in Norway, where an elderly couple had rented out part of their house (common practice in norway to have one or several rental units attached to the house) to a man who turned out to be violently mentally ill, and after they attempted to evict him for 6 months when he stopped paying his rent and got generally abusive, and they were denied this in court, he eventually snapped and murdered the couple in their sleep.