And we're back!

Main Menu

British humour at its finest

Started by Slargos, January 15, 2010, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2010, 08:31:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
I don't know.  It's an ancient right, from what I understand it goes back to the Medieval period...
A lot of ancient rights make no sense.
Sure...Robespierre <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2010, 08:07:45 PM
I think it would be pretty easy for the police to determine on the spot whose legal residence that is.  The party that cannot produce an ID with the address, have neighbors verify, etc. should be put out on their asses immediately.
None of that proves ownership though.

Interestingly apparently in Scotland squatting's a criminal offence, in England and Wales it's only a civil offence - unless there's evidence of another crime such as breaking and entering.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 02:48:11 PM
Jesus.  This is like a Daily Mail perfect storm: immigrants and property.  If only there were a Royal wedding too.

LOL I started reading the article, then saw it's Daily Mail, and stopped.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 03:46:59 PM
Quote from: Slargos on January 15, 2010, 03:44:23 PM
It's atrocious that they should need a court order to evict them, however.
Well by the sounds of it the squatters say they have a tenancy agreement, which makes me think RH's right and someone's taking advantage of them both.  The court order's presumably because you need to prove that you are the owner of the property and that it's not a property subject to squatters' rights.  If not how would the police know that you're able to demand people be evicted?

Stop being logical. This is Languish!

Martinus

Well by the sounds of it the squatters say they have a tenancy agreement, which makes me think RH's right and someone's taking advantage of them both.  The court order's presumably because you need to prove that you are the owner of the property and that it's not a property subject to squatters' rights.  If not how would the police know that you're able to demand people be evicted?

I think it would be pretty easy for the police to determine on the spot whose legal residence that is.  The party that cannot produce an ID with the address, have neighbors verify, etc. should be put out on their asses immediately.

I'm not sure what exactly would happen in Ohio in a case like this, but I have a feeling that in Texas you'd be free to evict the squatters by whatever means you prefer :)

Police is not there to make judgements about people's rights, when they are in dispute. That's why there are courts. What you are asking here is for the police to essentially carry out a hearing and examine the evidence.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: Strix on January 15, 2010, 05:21:34 PM
Illegal immigrants FTW! They are our future!
Romanians are legal :)

QuoteWhy would a squatter ever have rights, except for the right to a painful execution?
I don't know.  It's an ancient right, from what I understand it goes back to the Medieval period...

It was already present in Roman law. Essentially, there is a presumption that whoever holds a physical possession of a property, has a title to do so, and such presumption usually can only be challenged in a court. This is a public order measure, so that people whose rights are disputed do not go around hiring thugs to throw other people out of their property and vice-versa. I am deeply concerned about the state of an average Languishista's brain that people here do not seem to see the sheer obviousness of that.

The only usually recognized right to restore lost possession forcibly and without a court order is if it happens immediately after it was taken away.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 16, 2010, 04:31:00 AM
None of that proves ownership though.

It doesn't even need to be ownership. It could be a title of any kind, such as a tenancy agreement for example, and for all we know, it could have been signed by the previous owner of the property. As long as such an agreement remains in force (unless it stipulates otherwise), the tenants have a better title to occupy the property than the owners.

In short, there are countless possible considerations and issues here that a common bobby (or derspiess) is neither prepared nor authorised to deal with. That's is why we have courts.

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on January 15, 2010, 05:21:34 PM
They should have been arrested.

Illegal immigrants FTW! They are our future!

They are not illegal immigrants, you retard. Speaking legally, they are an equivalent of Alabamans squatting in Manhattan.

Josquius

When did we start letting Romanians in with full EU rights?
I'm pretty sure they didn't have it to begin with- the Poles et al did but not the Romanians and Bulgarians (due to the right not liking the Poles et al)
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Quote from: Slargos on January 15, 2010, 03:43:21 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 15, 2010, 03:38:54 PM
This is an Onion article, or the British version of Onion, right?   :huh:

If this is true, there should be no frigging way that someone can just go into someone else's home, take over, and not be subject to immediate removal by law enforcement. This is just nuts otherwise. Don't take a vacation, or you too could find some squatters in your home, that you can't get rid of, and who actually have protection on their side! Lol...

I read about a guy in Sweden who long story short invited a dutch woman to come stay with him over her holiday. He found out much too late that she was an abusive crazy person and ended up staying with his buddy since he feared for his life. Court orders? "You invited her, so there's no legal grounds to evict her."

It's not so simple as "it's my house", evidently.
I laugh at your retarded foreign laws.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

I'm not sure what exactly would happen in Ohio in a case like this, but I have a feeling that in Texas you'd be free to evict the squatters by whatever means you prefer :)

I'd liquidate them and bury them in the woods.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Tyr on January 16, 2010, 06:26:50 AM
When did we start letting Romanians in with full EU rights?
I'm pretty sure they didn't have it to begin with- the Poles et al did but not the Romanians and Bulgarians (due to the right not liking the Poles et al)

You never did. But it seems English are stupid enough to let us take their homes...  :hug:

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2010, 04:58:53 AM
They are not illegal immigrants, you retard. Speaking legally, they are an equivalent of Alabamans squatting in Manhattan.

You would have to be a lawyer to speak to the law in any regard. I will wait for someone who doesn't play one on the internet to do so before making a response.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on January 16, 2010, 04:32:04 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 02:48:11 PM
Jesus.  This is like a Daily Mail perfect storm: immigrants and property.  If only there were a Royal wedding too.

LOL I started reading the article, then saw it's Daily Mail, and stopped.
Yeah, the Daily Mail does use some big words.  You could have Malthus explain them to you if you really want to try this, though.  It would probably be good for you, and you could move up over time, and be able to read The Economist by the end of 2020.  :showoff:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pat

Quote from: Scipio on January 16, 2010, 08:37:05 AM

I laugh at your retarded foreign laws.

This is the guy who thinks pushing someone out of a door is assault.