News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British humour at its finest

Started by Slargos, January 15, 2010, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Eventually they just did the obvious - *they* all moved out to a different place, leaving the landlord with the crazy person and no paying renters, and let *him* deal with it.
:D
I like this solution. Kharma.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

They should have been arrested.

Illegal immigrants FTW! They are our future!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 03:46:59 PM
and that it's not a property subject to squatters' rights.
Why would a squatter ever have rights, except for the right to a painful execution?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on January 15, 2010, 05:26:12 PM
and that it's not a property subject to squatters' rights.
Why would a squatter ever have rights, except for the right to a painful execution?

After a period of time(years) and the property owner doesn't contest their squatting, the squatters get title to the property.

A lawtalker would have to give you the name of the legal mumbo-jumbo, as my books are out of reach right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 15, 2010, 05:53:22 PM
After a period of time(years) and the property owner doesn't contest their squatting, the squatters get title to the property.

A lawtalker would have to give you the name of the legal mumbo-jumbo, as my books are out of reach right now.

:yes:

There's a whole street in Whitehorse (across the river and hard to get to) called "squatters row" because the homeowners all got title through squatting. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, if you didn't allow squatting then, in the long run, land would lie unclaimed and unused.

Strix

That's why Texas is such a great place. You kill the squatters in your house and just say you were protecting yourself in your own home.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

ulmont

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 15, 2010, 05:53:22 PM

"Adverse possession" in most of the US, or "acquisitive prescription" in Louisiana.  It takes a damned long time though, usually upwards of 10 years (I believe in Louisiana it is 10 years with color of title, or 30 years without color of title.  In New Jersey, I think it's 60 years in the Pine Barrens).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Strix on January 15, 2010, 05:21:34 PM
Romanians are legal :)

QuoteWhy would a squatter ever have rights, except for the right to a painful execution?
I don't know.  It's an ancient right, from what I understand it goes back to the Medieval period...
Let's bomb Russia!

Alexandru H.

Are English people stupid? Who cares if they're romanians, aliens or lions? Just kick them out from your property.  :huh:

Racist...  :lmfao:

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: Strix on January 15, 2010, 05:21:34 PM
Romanians are legal :)

QuoteWhy would a squatter ever have rights, except for the right to a painful execution?
I don't know.  It's an ancient right, from what I understand it goes back to the Medieval period...

There's probably another Medieval right that can counteract that.

derspiess

Well by the sounds of it the squatters say they have a tenancy agreement, which makes me think RH's right and someone's taking advantage of them both.  The court order's presumably because you need to prove that you are the owner of the property and that it's not a property subject to squatters' rights.  If not how would the police know that you're able to demand people be evicted?

I think it would be pretty easy for the police to determine on the spot whose legal residence that is.  The party that cannot produce an ID with the address, have neighbors verify, etc. should be put out on their asses immediately.

I'm not sure what exactly would happen in Ohio in a case like this, but I have a feeling that in Texas you'd be free to evict the squatters by whatever means you prefer :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 15, 2010, 05:56:11 PM
Yes, if you didn't allow squatting then, in the long run, land would lie unclaimed and unused.
Not at all.  You just need someone to grant title to land according to how useful a person is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 15, 2010, 06:19:45 PM
A lot of ancient rights make no sense.

DisturbedPervert

Couldn't they hire some other Gypsies to drive them off the land?  Or would they collude and all live there together?