News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC: Distant Worlds (Space 4X from Matrix)

Started by Syt, January 13, 2010, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I have cracked and bought this game, will matrix break their duck and thrill me  :hmm: ?

Only time will tell..

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2010, 05:38:07 PM
I have cracked and bought this game, will matrix break their duck and thrill me  :hmm: ?

Only time will tell..

I am manfully resisting temptation at the moment. I look forward to hearing how your opinion of the game.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Lucidor

Is it too pretty to be played on an Acer Timeline 1810TZ?

Razgovory

I can't figure out where the fuck I put my wallet or I would have likely bought this game as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2010, 10:33:59 AM
I have cracked and bought this game,

:huh: Why both?
He may not have been listing his activities in chronological order.  He needed a copy to crack.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Grallon on March 31, 2010, 06:36:40 AM
So is this another GalCivII - i was bored by that hence I don't want to shell 60$ for a duplicate.  A sure sign of a poorly designed space 4X game is when the first phase is nothing but a colonization rush.

G.
It sucks but aren't most 4x games like that?
██████
██████
██████

Alcibiades

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2010, 12:54:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2010, 10:33:59 AM
I have cracked and bought this game,

:huh: Why both?
He may not have been listing his activities in chronological order.  He needed a copy to crack.

Trolled  :P
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Josquius

OK this is a really strange game.
Its odd to see a hands off indirect control game....Very odd...not sure how well it'd work.
Lots going on. Too much to keep track of. Which I suppose makes that its indirect good. If it was a traditional 4x then theres no way i'd be able to ever get anything done.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I've played the game for about 4 hours so far, first impressions are favourable.

You can automate just about everything, and the automation works reasonably well, the same as the AI empires I would guess. The scale is large, you have 100 ships after playing just 20 minutes and that rises rapidly.

I'm concerned that the automation is sufficiently good that there is little need for human intervention at all. However, there do seem to be areas where player interaction is positive and they are at a fairly high-level. It is possible to micro-manage more or less the entire game.......but that would be insane  :P

For example, pirates are often an early problem......the AI will deal with them at some stage, but the player can jump in and prioritise their elimination. If anyone remembers MOO3 at all, this game looks like a much better attempt at that sort of game.

There are no degrees of difficulty as such. The difficulty seems to be set from the options selected at game setup. For my first game I chose an "aggreeable" starting system. After an hour or two I seemed to be doing too well, so I've started another game with a "normal" starting system.

I'm hoping there are hidden complexities that will give the game a long shelf-life. In the game previously mentioned I had a huge number of colony targets........but I'm fairly sure that if I'd ordered all of them to be colonised at once then military spacecraft production would have been minimal as a result. Whether the AI would have exploited that is yet to be seen, I'll see how it goes in the "normal" game.

My eldest son also played for 3 hours yesterday and is intrigued by the game as well. Another 13 hours of play and it will have earned it's keep IMO.

Cecil

Military ships are constructed at space ports while colony ships are contructed on colonies.

Richard Hakluyt

There are still resource levels to take into account; but I take your point.

Tamas

I am still at the stage where I miss the "bugged" economy of pre 1.02. For survival, there is no need to manual-steer your economy, that is only for optimization now.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, 1.02 was out when I started playing. I'm getting the impression they went too far the other way and money is too easy now.

Roll on 1.03  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 02, 2010, 06:11:50 AM
Yeah, 1.02 was out when I started playing. I'm getting the impression they went too far the other way and money is too easy now.

Roll on 1.03  :P

Yeah maybe it was a bit too hard with 1.01 but it was manageable, and I liked the post-2-colonies expansion better there. ie. "Alright, monthly budget is in the green, check. No resources shortage. Check. Sufficient cash reserves, check. Send that ship." Whereas now it is "Not going to cause a diplomatic mess? Ok, send it, whatever".