News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC: Distant Worlds (Space 4X from Matrix)

Started by Syt, January 13, 2010, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2010, 11:13:01 AM
This looks like a game that is going to try to be everything, and will end up not being anything interesting.

Yes, this looks like WitP, but in space.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2010, 11:25:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2010, 11:19:37 AMbut I've given up on hoping that someone would put out a well designed space 4x game.

Space Empires 4 was fun for a while, but a bit spreadsheet-ish.

Not to mention the AI was dumber than a box of rocks. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Combat movie is out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQgeJML_tMw

Not exactly deep combat - build strong ships and swarm the enemy. Not much tactics (which is ok for me). I like the use of refueling stations to extend range, though I hope the AI knows how to use those, too and goes for yours, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

Apparently this has been released now.

Idi...ehm people with lots of spare money are welcome to give their views on if its a MoO1-2 or a MoO3.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2010, 06:45:57 PM
I'll wait for a patch or two.

Looking at the website, there is, in fact, already a patch.  :P

Syt

Quote from: Cecil on March 25, 2010, 06:42:48 PM

Idi...ehm people with lots of spare money are welcome to give their views on if its a MoO1-2 or a MoO3.

A beta over at Wargamer (Son_of_Montfor) has stated that it's not a MoO contender. It seems more like a EU-type game in space. I'd try it this weekend, but that depends on whether or not I get my online payment code for my new credit card today (Austrian MC/VISA affiliate requires a verification password for many transactions).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2010, 12:01:09 AM
Quote from: Cecil on March 25, 2010, 06:42:48 PM

A beta over at Wargamer (Son_of_Montfor) has stated that it's not a MoO contender. It seems more like a EU-type game in space. I'd try it this weekend, but that depends on whether or not I get my online payment code for my new credit card today (Austrian MC/VISA affiliate requires a verification password for many transactions).

I ment if it was good or a stinker. I know its hardly MoO. ;)

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on March 26, 2010, 11:25:57 AM
No multi-player. BO-RING.

Multiplayer is for dependent acceptance seekers who require social interaction to re-affirm themselves.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

I wouldn't mind hearing that this is decent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I thought that there'd be some opinions over at Wargamer already, but for now it's mostly, "Err, guess I'll check the manual/tutorial first."

I'll try it out this weekend myself. Since I'm easily amused and don't need an über-AI to keep me entertained (I'm not such a supergood gamer myself, and I don't micromanage/numbercrunch my games to maximize my results) I would take any impressions from me with a grain of salt, though. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

Thought it was pretty funny to read one report from the matrix forum about one player who on discovering a race got the advice from his advisors to go to war a crunch the others which he did. He promtly got pwned by he AI who obliterated his empire in about 10 minutes.  :lol: