News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC: Distant Worlds (Space 4X from Matrix)

Started by Syt, January 13, 2010, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

I dunno MBM. I could probably write an A4 page full of things I would like to see changed and improved but even so its a damn fun game IMO. I have said several times that GalCiv is a game I should like yet somehow I dont, this feels like the inverse.

Richard Hakluyt

Richard Hakluyt

Cecil

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Cecil on April 02, 2010, 06:08:35 PM
I dunno MBM. I could probably write an A4 page full of things I would like to see changed and improved but even so its a damn fun game IMO. I have said several times that GalCiv is a game I should like yet somehow I dont, this feels like the inverse.

Works for me.  I ended up buying it a few minutes before seeing your post here.   ;)  Installing now.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't think you will be disappointed, it's by no means perfect, but it is a level above the usual 4x micromanagement hell.

Cecil

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 02, 2010, 06:54:31 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed, it's by no means perfect, but it is a level above the usual 4x micromanagement hell.

I just hope the devs resist all those calls for more micro stuff being put into the game. Sure it might be fun when you have 5 colonies but there is a reason most 4X games becomes unplayable when the scale goes up.

MadBurgerMaker

Diggin it so far, and I'm really glad the automation is there.  I don't think my little two planet "empire" would be doing so well if it wasn't (although I did have to turn off taxation automation, since it was pissing off the population of my home planet with 30% taxes).

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I'm going off the game. There's just not enough there in the long run.
After I reached a certain size things just became...bleh. I even started a war to relieve the bordom. I didn't need to though; living space is plentiful on a standard map with 19 empires. I've never had to worry about money or places to grow.
There's just nothing to do and one the initial novelty of exploration and getting your first colonies down wears off it shows.
Colonisation automation is annoying too. I'd like to have building colony ships utterly automated but I'd like to choose where to send them myself. Its all or nothing though.
Theres big potential here. There's many aspects of what I'd have considered a dream game a few years back. Though...I dunno. They overly complicated it with too many of the same simple tasks and left out much variety in what to do.

Quote from: Cecil on April 02, 2010, 04:52:11 PM
Thats another thing I dont like. Getting other races only have huge benefits and virtually no downsides.
It got really weird with me.
Continental worlds are rare as anything. Ice and ocean worlds...not so much.
So I've loads of colonies of my other races, of humans? Not so much.
██████
██████
██████

Cecil

Yeah that bugs me too. If we were talking traits from MOO2 here being a natural Volcanic/Ocean/Ice colonizer would be at least worth 10 picks if not 15. Better terraforming or colonizing tech is a required thing I think cause in my games its quickly apparent that those races with that advantage is doing much better.

Tamas

While not entirely disagreeing with your general point, Tyr, colonization automation is not "all or nothing" if you have the AI ask for confirmation, you can open the expansion planner whenever, and queue colony ships to be built and sent to specific planets.

Josquius

I went back to it today (hey, I get these  irrational short term addictions) and played for 2 hours then it crashed :bleeding:
There goes my day.

I'm not understanding refuelling. I tell a fleet to refuel at the nearest station and it will often just sit around there without its fuel increasing...

QuoteWhile not entirely disagreeing with your general point, Tyr, colonization automation is not "all or nothing" if you have the AI ask for confirmation, you can open the expansion planner whenever, and queue colony ships to be built and sent to specific planets.
Yeah, but I like to have them building constantly and ready to be sent as soon as theres a planet. Its naff to have to build them specially when you decide to send them.
██████
██████
██████

Grallon

I think part of the problem is the dichotomy made between private and public sectors.  I understand the rationale of alleviating the micromanagement by giving away the 'mindless' tasks of building up the infrastructure to the private sector.  However it also deprives the player of a big chunk of what they used to do in previous titles of the genre.  Not to mention the sense of immersion where your choices personalize your empire.  That element is still there but abstracted and thus impersonal, superficial.  The game feels like chess, a matter of positioning your pieces, and yet there's not the immediacy of chess... Perhaps on a smaller map?

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Tamas

Quote from: Grallon on April 03, 2010, 09:53:58 AM
I think part of the problem is the dichotomy made between private and public sectors.  I understand the rationale of alleviating the micromanagement by giving away the 'mindless' tasks of building up the infrastructure to the private sector.  However it also deprives the player of a big chunk of what they used to do in previous titles of the genre.  Not to mention the sense of immersion where your choices personalize your empire.  That element is still there but abstracted and thus impersonal, superficial.  The game feels like chess, a matter of positioning your pieces, and yet there's not the immediacy of chess... Perhaps on a smaller map?

G.

The focus on macro is what makes this game. Wether the fixes of the future will turn it into truly great, or ruin, will depend on wether the devs cave in to the microing crowd and brake the game, or stay with their vision.