News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC: Distant Worlds (Space 4X from Matrix)

Started by Syt, January 13, 2010, 04:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Its pretty hard to control ships I've noticed.
Fleets like to dissapear without warning and ordering them to other star systems is a bit long and time consuming.
I'm beginning to like this though if I could figure it out right
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2010, 09:58:44 AM
Fleets like to dissapear without warning and ordering them to other star systems is a bit long and time consuming.

The Japanese noticed the same fleet problem around 1942-1944.  Though by 1945 they figured out where the fleets were going.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2010, 10:02:29 AM

The Japanese noticed the same fleet problem around 1942-1944.  Though by 1945 they figured out where the fleets were going.

You usually get a message if ships are attacked.
██████
██████
██████

Grallon

I've acquired a sample version (v. 1.1 - looking for 1.2 fix) and I have the same initial impression.  There's a *lot* of stuff going on and the private sector moving ships about is quite confusing too.

Due to my system limitations I can't play at greater scale than 700 star systems though..  Time I think of upgrading methinks.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Tamas

Quote from: Grallon on April 02, 2010, 11:03:01 AM

I've acquired a sample version (v. 1.1 - looking for 1.2 fix) and I have the same initial impression.  There's a *lot* of stuff going on and the private sector moving ships about is quite confusing too.

Due to my system limitations I can't play at greater scale than 700 star systems though..  Time I think of upgrading methinks.

G.

One of the fixes I hope will be eventually introduced is an option to turn off the displaying of freighters on the map. They have their uses during early game (like know your chokepoints to defend from pirates and such) but when you rule half the galaxy, you really dont need to have all those merchants make all that chaos.

Richard Hakluyt

Played most of the afternoon, really enjoying the game  :cool:

I think I can safely recommend the game to Languishites with reasonable income.

The impecunious should probably hold out, also those with old computers, the later game gobbles up resources.

Grallon

So I played for a couple of hours.  I chose the no pirates option and only 2 opponents 'far distant' from me to give me breathing space.  So what exactly is there to do apart from sending out exploration ships and allowing or not the construction of whatever your advisors suggest?  :hmm:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Richard Hakluyt

I chose normal pirates and 19 other empires  :D

As far as I can see breathing space is not a problem, choose a more challenging scenario.

Josquius

I really really should turn colonisation automation off.
They do nothing at first but once you have 3 races they start just colonising at will- they prefer to want to colonise close in stars too rather than further out ones, this seems a bad idea to me.
██████
██████
██████

Cecil

The lack of terraforming really gets on my tits after a while.... :hmm:

Josquius

Another thing getting to me...population management.
I'd really like a MOO2 sort of system. A easier way of moving people from one planet to another. Would really help colonies along and help me use my extra races better.

Quote from: Cecil on April 02, 2010, 03:06:33 PM
The lack of terraforming really gets on my tits after a while.... :hmm:

True. Its odd how it isn't in there.
Also what gets to me is the over-abundance of life bearing planets. And the way you often seem to get multiple ones per system if any.
██████
██████
██████

Alcibiades

Try incorporating other races into your empire, then you can colonize those at will.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Cecil

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 02, 2010, 03:16:16 PM
Try incorporating other races into your empire, then you can colonize those at will.

Thats another thing I dont like. Getting other races only have huge benefits and virtually no downsides.

Lucidor

Sort of like Civ 4, then. I never understood why people should be more excited with each new religion.

MadBurgerMaker

So...worth it then?  I need a space game that doesn't involve the internet.  I was eyeballing the Sword of the Stars Ultimate Edition, or whatever it's called with the two expansions, but this looks nice too.

Edit:  Oh sweet Matrix has the digital download + shipped box option.