Danish Mohammad cartoonist attacked in his home by Mulsim extremist

Started by Syt, January 02, 2010, 03:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Danish police shoot 'terrorist' trying to enter Mohammed cartoonist's home

QuoteDanish police have shot a Somali man linked to al-Qaida who tried to enter the home of an artist who drew controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.

The man, a 28-year-old Somalian who was armed with an axe and a knife, was caught trying to break into the home of Kurt Westergaard at 10pm local time on Friday, police said.

Police shot the man, injuring him in his leg and arm. He was taken into custody and is expected to recover.

Mr Westergaard, 74, was commissioned by the Jyllands-Posten newspaper to produce caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed five years ago, including one which depicted the Prophet with a bomb in his turban.

Jakob Scharf, who heads the Danish intelligence service, PET, said the attack was "terror related".

"The arrested man has according to PET's information close relations to the Somali terrorist group, al-Shabaab, and al-Qaida leaders in eastern Africa," he added.

Mr Westergaard, who has received several death threats since the cartoon was published, was at home in Viby near the western city of Aarhus, and guarded by police, when the intruder tried to get in.

"I locked myself in our safe room. He tried to smash the entrance door with an axe," Mr Westergaard, who was in the house with a five-year-old grandson, said.

The security alarm was set off before the man was shot by the guards.

Denmark's cartoon crisis began in September 2005 when the Jyllands-Posten cultural editor Flemming Rose commissioned the satirical drawings as part of a discussion on free speech.

The cartoons inflamed anti-Danish and anti-Western sentiment among Muslims across the world.

In January 2006, after both the newspaper and the Danish government refused Muslim demands for an apology, a wave of violence ensued during which several Danish embassies were set alight, a boycott of Danish goods was encouraged across the Muslim world and violent anti-Danish demonstrations were held, particularly in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Several demonstrators were killed in separate incidents as security forces sought to control the protests.

In the past several people have been arrested on suspicion of plotting Westergaard's murder, Danish police have since offered protection to everyone in the country called Kurt Westergaard.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Don't be bigoted, guys. You never know whether any Languish poster isn't fucking a Muslim chick, which could result in a diatribe about tolerance and multi-culturalism.

Plus, unless you can name all Muslim Caliphs, you really are in no position to criticize the Muslim culture.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on January 02, 2010, 04:02:32 AM
Glad to see you aren't a bigot there Marti :lol:

What are you talking about? I am defending the proud and longstanding Muslim tradition of murdering people you disagree with, there.

Martinus

And besides, it's not like only people from certain cultures, ethnicities and religions commit violent crimes. I mean only this Christmas period a British student tried to blow up a plane, a Finnish guy shot a bunch of Finns, a Dane tried to murder a cartoonist, and some multi-national group blew up a shitload of people at the volleyball game in Pakistan.

As I said, they are coming from all nations, walks of life and all religions (sunni and shia, at least).

Syt

I eagerly await Marty's reaction when a group of homo militants blow up a x-ian congregation during mass.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 02, 2010, 05:52:53 AM
I eagerly await Marty's reaction when a group of homo militants blow up a x-ian congregation during mass.

Yeah, because gays commit so many violent acts of terrorism it's a natural next step.

Caliga

So this guy is the new Salman Rushdie now?  That must make the old Salman Rushdie feel a bit safer. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

It's bigger news that the world is reporting this news than the news itself. We suck. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Caliga on January 02, 2010, 05:57:48 AM
So this guy is the new Salman Rushdie now?  That must make the old Salman Rushdie feel a bit safer. :smoke:

Not that Salman rushdie was a victory for the liberal west. The man may have lived through it all but self-censorship out of fear for islam-barbarians happened nontheless.
Hopefully this time the results are better.

Slargos

He could just as well have been white as snow, and from iceland.

This is not an indictment of islamists or somalis.

CountDeMoney

QuoteMr Westergaard, who has received several death threats since the cartoon was published, was at home in Viby near the western city of Aarhus, and guarded by police, when the intruder tried to get in.

Too funny.  Just like a Somali Mooselimb to bring an axe to a gun fight.

Syt

To be fair, it seems he did have an axe to grind. Or maybe he was just looking for the Axe effect.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 02, 2010, 06:45:36 AM
Not that Salman rushdie was a victory for the liberal west. The man may have lived through it all but self-censorship out of fear for islam-barbarians happened nontheless.

I disagree.