China executes allegedly mentally ill Briton for drug traficking

Started by The Larch, December 29, 2009, 05:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

DisturbedPervert

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 02, 2010, 05:40:56 PM
US was on the wrong side in Kosovo

We might not have been then but we are now.  Republic of Kosovo...what a joke.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

America is always picking the side that promotes US world conquest.

Would you guys like some ball bearings?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on January 02, 2010, 05:40:56 PM
US was on the wrong side in Kosovo

Killing Serbs is never wrong, but helping Muslims kill Serbs is possibly worse.  They should've been left to kill one-another.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2010, 06:53:58 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2010, 05:33:37 PM
In this country at least it had broad support.
The bar was set at overwhelming support.
Does it count as overwhelming support when only Harold Pinter opposes it?

Also I don't know if Korea counts by that measure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on January 02, 2010, 06:35:07 PM
America is always picking the side that promotes US world conquest.

Would you guys like some ball bearings?

You can't have a B61 bomb.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 02, 2010, 07:07:36 PM

Was there much debate of the justice of the Kosovo campaign?

I included Korea because it fits all the classic criteria for defense against aggression.  Not really familiar with the philosophical debate on that one either, if there was one.

Martinus

From wiki, about the Kosovo War:

QuoteThe legitimacy of NATO's bombing campaign in Kosovo has been the subject of much debate. NATO did not have the backing of the United Nations Security Council because the war was opposed by permanent members with ties to Yugoslavia, in particular Russia, who had threatened to veto any resolution authorizing force. NATO argued that their defiance of the Security Council was justified based on the claims of an "international humanitarian emergency". Criticism was also drawn by the fact that the NATO charter specifies that NATO is an organization created for defence of its members, but in this case it was used to attack a non-NATO country which was not directly threatening any NATO member. NATO claimed that instability in the Balkans was a direct threat to the security interests of NATO members, and military action was therefore justified by the NATO charter; however, the only NATO member country to which the instability was a direct threat was Greece.
Many on the left of Western politics saw the NATO campaign as U.S. aggression and imperialism, while critics on the right considered it irrelevant to their countries' national security interests. Veteran anti-war campaigners such as Noam Chomsky, Edward Said, Justin Raimondo, and Tariq Ali were prominent in opposing the campaign. However, in comparison with the anti-war protests against the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the campaign against the war in Kosovo aroused much less public support. The television pictures of refugees being driven out of Kosovo made a vivid and simple case for NATO's actions.
The personalities were also very different—the NATO nations were mostly led by centre-left and moderately liberal leaders, most prominently U.S. President Bill Clinton, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder and the Italian Prime Minister Massimo D'Alema. Anti-war protests were generally from the libertarian right, the far-left and Serbian émigrés, with many other left-wingers supporting the campaign on humanitarian grounds. The German participation in the operation was one of the reasons for Oskar Lafontaine's resignation from the post of Federal Minister of Finance and the chairman of the SPD.
There was, however, criticism from all parts of the political spectrum for the way that NATO conducted the campaign. NATO officials sought to portray it as a "clean war" using precision weapons. The U.S. Department of Defense claimed that, up to June 2, 99.6% of the 20,000 bombs and missiles used had hit their targets. However, the use of technologies such as depleted uranium ammunition and cluster bombs was highly controversial, as was the bombing of oil refineries and chemical plants, which led to accusations of "environmental warfare". The slow pace of progress during the war was also heavily criticised. Many believed that NATO should have mounted an all-out campaign from the start, rather than starting with a relatively small number of strikes and combat aircraft.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2010, 07:13:04 PM

I included Korea because it fits all the classic criteria for defense against aggression.  Not really familiar with the philosophical debate on that one either, if there was one.

There was by conservatives who wanted to end the war.  In fact there was about WWI and WWII as well.  There's never a war with overwhelming support.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2010, 07:43:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2010, 07:13:04 PM

There was by conservatives who wanted to end the war.  In fact there was about WWI and WWII as well.  There's never a war with overwhelming support.

I liked the asshole in congress who voted against war after Pearl Harbor. And by liked, I mean should have been lynched. Fucking cunt.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive