China executes allegedly mentally ill Briton for drug traficking

Started by The Larch, December 29, 2009, 05:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I suppose that if we go back to the foundation of "Britishness", back in 1707, we are talking about an arrangement that was substantially about power.....and anti-papism of course.

I take your point about the money-grubbing, but as regards the Scots that is what it was always about  :D

The Navigation Acts, for example, were all about carriage in English ships; the Scots faced the option of becoming an economic backwater or subsuming their nationalism and taking a share of the profits......

I think Brown is floundering with his British waffling because all this is increasingly an anachronism.

On the other hand, my children are 8/16 English, 5/16 Irish and 3/16 Scottish..........that sort of background is common enough..........the 4 countries are so close in many ways, family.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 29, 2009, 06:36:05 PM
On the other hand, my children are 8/16 English, 5/16 Irish and 3/16 Scottish..........that sort of background is common enough..........the 4 countries are so close in many ways, family.
The exception as ever is the Welsh who rarely venture out of their homeland :lol:

Though I agree entirely.  The only nationality I don't have in my family background is English which is, of course, what I am.  That side of things is something worth keeping, I'm not sure if it needs our portmanteau nation anymore though :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2009, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 08:34:57 AM
It amuses me that the most vocal bigots people on the board now are all gay.  :)

What the fuck. I'm not a bigot!

Mental illness defence?   :unsure:

Monoriu

One of the biggest cultural shocks I had when I first came to Canada was how people talked about their mental problems so openly, as if those were ailments that could be managed and cured.  I was taught that there was only one kind of mental problem, the grab a weapon and kill every random stranger/neighbour kind.  All others are manifestations of severe flaws in character and personal honour.  Autism = anti-social behaviour.  Depression = persimmist.  Bi-polarity = anger management issues.  In China, it is a great shame to admit going to a psychiatrist.  This is cause for firing, and to lose friends. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2009, 07:13:00 PM
One of the biggest cultural shocks I had when I first came to Canada was how people talked about their mental problems so openly, as if those were ailments that could be managed and cured.  I was taught that there was only one kind of mental problem, the grab a weapon and kill every random stranger/neighbour kind.  All others are manifestations of severe flaws in character and personal honour.  Autism = anti-social behaviour.  Depression = persimmist.  Bi-polarity = anger management issues.  In China, it is a great shame to admit going to a psychiatrist.  This is cause for firing, and to lose friends.

What did you do when you learned that Westerners believe that Germs make you sick instead of angry spirits?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2009, 04:28:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 29, 2009, 03:06:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 29, 2009, 02:37:52 PM
they have this mentality too, in some US States where they execute the mentally hill.  Texas comes to mind, but there might be others too.

*sigh* We execute the retarded not the mentally ill.  For fuck sake.

The continue existence of Rick Perry suggests otherwise.

If simply being retarded was a crime we would have to execute the majority of the people living the eastern part of the state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

You know, when I hear things like this, I am afraid that China will defeat the West.  The sheer sensibility of their worldview means that they are a mortal danger to cowardly, decadent Western society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Prease to be subscribing to your newsretter.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on December 29, 2009, 07:49:23 PMYou know, when I hear things like this, I am afraid that China will defeat the West.  The sheer sensibility of their worldview means that they are a mortal danger to cowardly, decadent Western society.

:lol:

So what would you chose in the end, if the Chinese prevail in this your proposed clash of cultures?  Throw your lot in with them or go down with your defeated colours nailed to the mast of the West?

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2009, 07:16:43 PM

What did you do when you learned that Westerners believe that Germs make you sick instead of angry spirits?

The Boxer Rebellion.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on December 29, 2009, 06:00:41 PM

Well, yeah, whatever. your culture is a despicable, abominable collection of superstitions and outright barbarism. I frankly don't care anymore about your "cultural differences" excuses, whether it comes to some mundane mind-boggling pettiness (like your attitudes to money, or appearances) or barbarisms like eating endangered species or executing mentally ill people.

The only proper response to your culture is to condemn it wholeheartedly and hope it will follow in the footsteps of, say, Aztecs, and end up on the dumpster of history.

Hmmmm....

So opposing an evil and immoral culture is "bigotry"? Damn all those anti-nazi bigots like Roosvelt and Churchill then.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2009, 03:36:49 AM

Well, yeah, whatever. your culture is a despicable, abominable collection of superstitions and outright barbarism. I frankly don't care anymore about your "cultural differences" excuses, whether it comes to some mundane mind-boggling pettiness (like your attitudes to money, or appearances) or barbarisms like eating endangered species or executing mentally ill people.

The only proper response to your culture is to condemn it wholeheartedly and hope it will follow in the footsteps of, say, Aztecs, and end up on the dumpster of history.

Hmmmm....

So opposing an evil and immoral culture is "bigotry"? Damn all those anti-nazi bigots like Roosvelt and Churchill then.

By your reasoning I'm no more a bigot than you.

Camerus

Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2009, 03:36:49 AM

Hmmmm....

And just yesterday you said you were so ignorant about China and its culture that you only heard of Cao Cao from a video game!

Your constant hysteria and vitriol is so tired.  This rant once again reveals you to be not only the most profoundly bigoted and seething person on this board, but also among its most ignorant and judgmental.

Slargos