News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top PC game of all time?

Started by Galrion, December 23, 2009, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Would this be a good time to admit that I still play Tie Fighter?  :P

Also, the lack of StarControl 2 or SMAC is a disappointment.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on December 24, 2009, 12:35:22 PM
I rather wish they'd re-do X-Wing/TIE Fighter for modern systems and better graphics.
I wonder why they don't remake the games at all.  Why let a good idea languish just because it was done in 1995?  What's wrong with porting a game that was very popular, but now can't run on most PCs, into a new version?

KRonn

X-Com, is among one of my favorites, though not sure if I'd make it first on the list.  Civ series another favorite, the first Colonization too though it was a fairly simple game really. Sim City games but not so into them now. Caesar game series. Panzer General, Patrician 2 &3. Also I rate Vicky Revolutions and HOI2 as favorite games, even though I've played them less than some of the others. I often spend a lot of time with easier to play games, depending on my mood, and other times I love the heavier detail of games. And then there's certainly some games I can't think of now to add.

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on December 24, 2009, 12:32:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 24, 2009, 11:49:57 AM
The list is pretty good except the Top 2. That's just retarded.
TIE Fighter was awesome.  Although X-Wing Alliance would surpass it in every respect, TIE Fighter was the right game at the right time, back when flight sims ruled the roost.  It learned from Wing Commander and made something that was, for all intents and purposes, perfect.

Hells yeah!

crazy canuck

Masters of Magic and Masters of Orion should have been in the top 10.

I still would have gone with Civ (the original) it was just so mind blowingly unique at the time.

Razgovory

Curiously doesn't cover as many genres that make PC gaming unique in regards to Console games.  Things such as old turn based war games and the like.  Weird that no Ultima games were put on there.  I mean these were highly influential and popular in their day.  I would put games that started genres, reinvented genres, or revived them.  For instance, why put Crysis in there?  It hasn't done anything new or interesting.  It's simply one of a long line of FPS.  Only a fair one as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Yeah, what's up with Crysis?  I mean, all of those games were either super-popular or innovative, and usually both.  Crysis just doesn't belong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I don't think Crysis even sold well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on December 24, 2009, 02:54:46 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 24, 2009, 02:27:27 AM
Aces of the Pacific, Red Baron

:wub:
Wholeheartedly seconded.

Mine would probably have Planescape, Thief, Half-Life 2, Fallout and Homeworld on it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 24, 2009, 12:51:48 PM
Would this be a good time to admit that I still play Tie Fighter?  :P

Also, the lack of StarControl 2 or SMAC is a disappointment.
SC2 is a weird one. A very good game but one I'd absolutely never heard let alone played until Ur-Quan masters.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Neil on December 24, 2009, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 02:48:11 AM
Sims and WoW are the only two possible contenders (ok, let's throw in the Civilization series too) for the "top PC game of all time", if people who played those actually bothered to vote in a silly contest like that.  :lol:
Why is it that every so often you feel the need to embarrass yourself with nonsense like this?

Well, people doubt that he's really a lawyer, because he posts stupid stuff about the law.  So he figures that if he posts stupid stuff about other topics, then maybe everyone will think that he really is a lawyer, but is just stupid. 

Admiral Yi

Panzer General II, Civ II, Colonization II, EUI are my personal tops.

Iormlund

Even though I never liked it, I must say that Tetris should be on that list.

I definitely approve of that top two. I still play X-Com from time to time.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on December 24, 2009, 06:24:13 PM
Even though I never liked it, I must say that Tetris should be on that list.

I definitely approve of that top two. I still play X-Com from time to time.

Problem with Tetris was that it was originally an arcade game.  Games like that, or Pac-Man, or Space Invaders or een Stree Fighter might belong on a list of greatest videogames, but not greatest PC games.

Thinking about it, this list is missing Oregon Trail.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.