News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top PC game of all time?

Started by Galrion, December 23, 2009, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Best of lists suck. Film at 11.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2009, 09:47:35 PM
LucasArt's Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe or MicroProse's M1 Tank Platoon FTW.

Hell yeah.  Also Aces of the Pacific, Red Baron, and Silent Service II.   

X-Com was pretty cool, but I never played it as much as any of these five here.

barkdreg

Alexandru H.

I still play X-COM  :hug: It has no opponent, really...

I disagree with some of the other choices, though...

DisturbedPervert

Author should be doused in fuel and set aflame for not including a Wing Commander, Ultima, or Monkey Island.

Martinus

This is pretty retarded, especially for a genre developing as fast as computer games.

As a result, instead of "Top game of all time" this becomes "Top game I spent most time playing while I was still young enough to have no critical sense and too much time on my hands, while I am still sad and nerdy enough to bother and vote for at my age."

Sims and WoW are the only two possible contenders (ok, let's throw in the Civilization series too) for the "top PC game of all time", if people who played those actually bothered to vote in a silly contest like that.  :lol:

Jaron

Its really hard to measure a game. Really though games can't be compared like this. A best of 80s or 90s list would be more appropriate, I think.

Even the crappiest title today would have probably blown anything out of the water if it had been released during the 80s.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 02:48:11 AM"Top game I spent most time playing while I was still young enough to have no critical sense and too much time on my hands, while I am still sad and nerdy enough to bother and vote for at my age."

The Sims and Wow would quite easily win here

Tamas

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Jaron on December 24, 2009, 02:50:56 AM
Its really hard to measure a game. Really though games can't be compared like this. A best of 80s or 90s list would be more appropriate, I think.

Even the crappiest title today would have probably blown anything out of the water if it had been released during the 80s.

Naw, you can still play (edit: some) oldass games, and the really good ones, like what we're talking about, tend to still be fun.  The graphics will, of course, really suck, but the gameplay is good (which is more than I can say about the gameplay in a lot of the so called "omgkickass!1! 99/100 Gold Stars!!" modern games I own).

Oh, Tamas: http://www.jasta5.org/Jagdstaffeln_5/red_baron_j5_3d.htm

Jaron

Its a mix of nostalgia and the fact many of those old games were doing something new. The gameplay in modern games doesn't really suck as much as its nothing we haven't seen before.

I'm pretty sure kids playing the games of today feel as strongly for them as a lot of us feel about really old 80s/90s games.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Jaron on December 24, 2009, 03:02:53 AM
Its a mix of nostalgia and the fact many of those old games were doing something new. The gameplay in modern games doesn't really suck as much as its nothing we haven't seen before.

I'm pretty sure kids playing the games of today feel as strongly for them as a lot of us feel about really old 80s/90s games.

Quoteyou can still play (edit: some) oldass games

Jaron

Okay? I can still play hop scotch too but that doesn't mean at this point in my life I'd still consider it a great way to spend an hour.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Jaron on December 24, 2009, 03:14:28 AM
Okay? I can still play hop scotch too but that doesn't mean at this point in my life I'd still consider it a great way to spend an hour.

:huh:

Edit:  Oh right.  Jaron.  Nevermind!

Jaron

Yeah. Whatever. You really have no valid point to make other than to point out games you used to like are still playable. Has nothing to do with them being the "greatest" of all time. Now shoo.