And we're back!

Main Menu

Top PC game of all time?

Started by Galrion, December 23, 2009, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 24, 2009, 06:33:18 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 24, 2009, 06:24:13 PM
Even though I never liked it, I must say that Tetris should be on that list.

I definitely approve of that top two. I still play X-Com from time to time.

Problem with Tetris was that it was originally an arcade game. 

Really? Source?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

FWIW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris

QuoteTetris has been involved in many legal battles. In June 1984, Alexey Pajitnov created Tetris on an Elektronika 60 while working for the Soviet Academy of Sciences at their Computer Center in Moscow with Dmitry Pavlovsky, and Vadim Gerasimov ported it to the IBM PC. Gerasimov reports that Pajitnov chose the name "Tetris" as "a combination of 'tetramino' and 'tennis'." From there, the PC game exploded into popularity, and began spreading all around Moscow. This version is available on Gerasimov's web site.[4]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Perhaps I am wrong.  Or perhaps it's enough to say that multi-platform games do not qualify.

Tetris should be on any list of the top 25 video games of all time.  Whether it qualifies as a "PC game" is a question I'll leave to others.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I didn't know they had a great deal of PCs in Moscow in the mid 1980's.  I remember reading the the country only had around 300,000 computers of any kind by the time Gorby came to power (compared to the 8 million computers in the US).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Something like Morrowind ought to be on there as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Populus should've made it on the list, if only for sheer innovation.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2009, 07:44:50 PM
I didn't know they had a great deal of PCs in Moscow in the mid 1980's.  I remember reading the the country only had around 300,000 computers of any kind by the time Gorby came to power (compared to the 8 million computers in the US).
My dad had a couple of PCs at his work, starting in late 1980ies.  They were kept all locked away in one room, except the one on his desk.  During school vacations I used to come with him to work and spend the entire day in that room.  Whenever I came to see him in his office, he played a card game on his PC.  That's where I learned my work ethic.

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2009, 10:03:04 PM

Yes, a bunch of men walking around the world randomly to the beautiful soundtrack of a beating heart is highly innovative.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2009, 10:12:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2009, 07:44:50 PM
My dad had a couple of PCs at his work, starting in late 1980ies.  They were kept all locked away in one room, except the one on his desk.  During school vacations I used to come with him to work and spend the entire day in that room.  Whenever I came to see him in his office, he played a card game on his PC.  That's where I learned my work ethic.

And some people don't know why your country collapsed on itself. 

Camerus

Personal faves are Imperialism, Civ2 + 4, and EU2. WC2 gets an honourable mention as I used to play a lot as a kid.

Eddie Teach

Sims shouldn't be on the list. It's a toy, not a game.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2009, 10:03:04 PM

Forgotten about that one.  Great game.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 25, 2009, 01:14:30 AM
It helped introduce girls and girl-equivalents to PC gaming.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 25, 2009, 01:14:30 AM

Torture simulator. NO BATHROOM FOR YOU!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive