News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top PC game of all time?

Started by Galrion, December 23, 2009, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

The more I think about this the more I think about how much this list sucks?  No Pool of Radiance or Balance of Power or Bards Tale or the Myst?  I didn't like Myst but it was extremely popular at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Best game of all time:  Civ2, no question.  Absolutely addicting, the kind of one-more-turn-even-if-it-is-2a.m.-on-a-weekday game that just doesn't exist anymore.  Wonder movies FTW!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

barkdreg

Quote from: Valmy on December 24, 2009, 12:45:24 PM
Quote from: barkdreg on December 24, 2009, 02:29:20 AM
No return to monkey island?

Do you mean Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge?  Yeah that was a classic.

Nope, it was the first monkey island I was talking about. Somehow I managed to mix up the titles. Blame alcohol.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2009, 11:25:15 AM
Best game of all time:  Civ2, no question.  Absolutely addicting, the kind of one-more-turn-even-if-it-is-2a.m.-on-a-weekday game that just doesn't exist anymore.  Wonder movies FTW!
As I've said before Civ is a weird one for me.
Civ 2 at the time was indeed absolutely amazing. Above anything else, ate huge chunks of my life, brilliant.
Civ 4 though nowhere near such as good and revolutionary a game for its time on the other hand I think is actually a better game if you try and look at them both from a neutral modern standpoint.
I'd keep it with Civ 4.

Quote from: NeilIt helped introduce girls and girl-equivalents to PC gaming.
What else have they bought though beyond the Sims and endless addon packs?
I seriously struggle to think of anything. My sister bought herself a mac of all things, when I told her macs were crap and nothing would run on them her explanation was thus 'Its pretty and it runs the Sims 3 which is the only game I care about'.
██████
██████
██████

Cecil

I liked the quarreling advisors. ;)

Lucidor

Quote from: Cecil on December 25, 2009, 03:59:16 PM

"The people, they just can't help fallin' in love with ya!" (quoted from memory, it must have been 15 years)

Razgovory

The spy chick was hot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lucidor

Cecil

Quote from: Lucidor on December 25, 2009, 05:38:19 PM

"The people, they just can't help fallin' in love with ya!" (quoted from memory, it must have been 15 years)

"Build me a stock exchange, and I´ll show you what cash flow is all about"  :blush:

grumbler

Quote from: Cecil on December 25, 2009, 08:22:11 PM
Quote from: Lucidor on December 25, 2009, 05:38:19 PM

"Build me a stock exchange, and I´ll show you what cash flow is all about"  :blush:
"Just don't let this weasel touch the science rate!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

While I couldn't go back from Civ4 to 2 (my personal ranking is 4-2-1-3, though everyone will have their own preferences) the Civ2 advisors were great. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould