News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Christmas loot. Post yours.

Started by Darth Wagtaros, December 21, 2009, 07:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Also I've got lots of aunties and uncles who like to indicate that they care but haven't seen or spoken to me in about 10 years.  So sending a gift voucher makes sense.

Marti, on your Christmas list.  What other Hollinghurst have you read?  I think 'The Spell' is probably his weakest but let me know what you think because I know you enjoyed 'The Line of Beauty' :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 03:56:48 PM
Btw, here's a good question for Miss Manners: if both the gifter and the giftee have foot fetish, does a gift of socks still count as a low-profile, unimportant gift, or is this an equivalent of giving someone sexy lingerie? Asking hypothetically.

Creepy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

stjaba

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 05:30:24 PM
unless there is some financial imbalance (like parents to kids, for example, or richer relatives to poorer ones).

That would be me. My current income = 0. I was better off when I was an undergrad, at least I could work a shit job.  :D

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Hey I got Inglorious Basterds. Also a new table to go next to my new chair.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 24, 2009, 11:11:45 PM
Also I've got lots of aunties and uncles who like to indicate that they care but haven't seen or spoken to me in about 10 years.  So sending a gift voucher makes sense.

Marti, on your Christmas list.  What other Hollinghurst have you read?  I think 'The Spell' is probably his weakest but let me know what you think because I know you enjoyed 'The Line of Beauty' :)

I haven't actually read "The Line of Beauty" - I just saw the movie. I read "The Swimming Pool Library" and "Folding Star", though. :)

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on December 24, 2009, 03:47:35 PM
So, in my family we stopped buying each other's gifts since it usually turned out to be crap noone needed and buy our own gifts. :P

- "The Wire" season 1 (DVD),
- "Mad Men" season 1 (DVD),
- "David Bowie - Greatest Hits" (CD),
- "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides (book),

My superboo ( :blurgh: ) also texted me he has a gift for me. :unsure:
You better be careful or people will stop making fun of your tastes.   :P

The Wire: Season 4
Blackadder: Complete Series
Twin Peaks: Complete Series
Let the Right One In
The New World
Army of Shadows
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2009, 02:52:11 AM
I haven't actually read "The Line of Beauty" - I just saw the movie.
:bleeding:  Sub-par 1980s costume drama :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Ann Peebles on Hi Records - Vol 1
In the Loop
State of Play
A Luis Bunuel collection (his French stuff)
The Cheese and The Worms: The Cosmos of a Sixteenth-Century Miller

Good haul :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on December 25, 2009, 03:00:05 AM
You better be careful or people will stop making fun of your tastes.   :P

:unsure:

Haven't you received a fair amount of hazing on that score as well?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Not so much which is somewhat sad but also good. I've been trying to get my parents to spend less on me for years- my sister justifies demanding the world with the argument that I still get presents despite being 3 years older than her.
A few books, Star Trek and the new Dylan Moran DVD, Thundercats t-shirt, lots of ket, etc...
One disappointing thing is my mam bought me a bunch of mangas believing I didn't already have them but I do, just in another cover. Kinda crap that she would waste this money. Checking amazon though it seems they have a decent returns policy so it should work out.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2009, 01:41:51 PM
I hope you blasphemers who opened your presents early burn in a lake of fire for all eternity.

The kids go north to their dad's so we had to open presents before they left. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on December 23, 2009, 01:49:50 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 21, 2009, 07:58:05 PM
Was a good year in the Meri/Max household. :D

• 31.5" flat screen TV from Max
  • Massage chair pad from my boss/friend
  • Several pairs of beautiful earrings from several different friends
  • 60 gb iPod Video from my mom (with a bit of added cash from me)

This is why middle class people can't "afford" health insurance.

Um... gifts? As in "from other people"? Only thing that came out of our budget was the TV, which was on sale.

Of course, that $500/month health insurance package could really have been paid for if we hadn't gotten it. You're absolutely right. :)

merithyn

Quote from: Slargos on December 24, 2009, 04:39:55 PM
I got what is possibly the best christmas gift I've ever been given, and definitely the best this millennium. My 3 year old niece had wrapped up her favourite doll and gifted it to me. :wub:

That is adorable, Slargos. :)

syk

The big girl among other things got pois for christmas. We'll all be heavily bruised by tomorrow.  :lol:
For those who have no idea what pois are, a video of two guys performing with fire pois: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sfih3u6p-Y