News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

A lot of places won't use salt because of nearby wetlands.  Sand is more useful there.
PDH!

KRonn

I think some places have trucks that instead of dropping sand/salt, the trucks heat and melt snow/ice on the roads? Anyone have those in their area, and how well do they work?

Barrister

Most of you guys are amateurs when dealing with snow - we've had persistent snow on the ground since mid-October.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:39:33 PM
Most of you guys are amateurs when dealing with snow - we've had persistent snow on the ground since mid-October.
Well of course. After all, snow goes naturally with your Canadian Igloo motif building style anyway.   ;)

MadImmortalMan

It's like one of Pharaoh's plagues up here. I have a couple feet in my backyard and the street is all ice. It was a foot of snow in the street that kept getting churned by the 4x4s earlier in the week, but now it's a glacier since a plow came up the street (luxury!). The snow was easier to drive on. :P We tried to go to a party Saturday night and got three blocks before Mrs. MIM was crying to go back home. I was ok, but I nearly got hit three times by other people who couldn't stop their vehicles. Lots of intersections around my house where you have to stop on a downhill slope.

Plus today, we had: freezing fog. Weird. It turns to an ice coating on your windows as you drive through it. 20ft visibility, so it could have been worse. Maybe I'll post some nice snowy pics tonight. The mountains are awesomely covered.

Oh, and I will be grilling some steaks tonight. Oh yeah. Snow can't stop me. I got some Gorgonzola to put on them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2009, 01:19:18 PM
Oh, and I will be grilling some steaks tonight. Oh yeah. Snow can't stop me. I got some Gorgonzola to put on them.
:mmm:

I used to grill in the snow in Massachusetts.  Fortunately I rarely need to here.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I grill in winter twhen the grill isn't iced over.
PDH!

Josquius

haha, some people from warmer climes are having a snow party on the roof of a building to celebrate. Strange.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I don't grill in winter. The problem isn't cold, snow or ice. It's the lack of sunlight around dinner time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2009, 01:49:36 PM
I don't grill in winter. The problem isn't cold, snow or ice. It's the lack of sunlight around dinner time.
That's what flashlights and lot's of luck are for.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 14, 2009, 01:39:16 PM
haha, some people from warmer climes are having a snow party on the roof of a building to celebrate. Strange.

To us snow is as exotic as a Polynesian Island.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

60 F today. I took the Challenger out and warped down some country roads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Heh...Poor Neil....twas -45 C in Edmonton

In Edmonton, where cold records were smashed over the weekend with a temperature of -46.1 C on Sunday, readings were predicted to rise to -22 C on Monday, but dip back down overnight for a low of -32 C.

Wind chills were predicted to ease in Edmonton Monday, but northern parts of Alberta were expected to face late-day wind chills as low as -50 C. Environment Canada says at these temperatures, frostbite on exposed skin can occur within minutes.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=2338615#ixzz0ZhQrULN1

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 14, 2009, 04:06:23 PM
You're making a huge mistake by taking this much time off from work, chief.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2009, 04:13:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 14, 2009, 04:06:23 PM
You're making a huge mistake by taking this much time off from work, chief.

No I'm not. You haven't been keeping up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive