News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Martinus, December 14, 2009, 06:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just learned the interesting little factoid that icing roads does no good down around zero farenheit.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 12:03:29 PM
Just learned the interesting little factoid that icing roads does no good down around zero farenheit.

What do you mean by "icing roads"? :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2009, 09:13:45 AMThat is actually true here also.  It used to snow about once a year here but it probably has not snowed for a decade at least now.

proof that global warming does not exist!  ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:04:06 PM
Clearly I meant salting.  Stop hiding behind technicalities.

Habbaku

Spraying water on them when the temperature gets below-freezing.  In the South, our county commissioners are responsible for making sure that every road is properly iced over during the winter so that we can all enjoy the time-honored tradition of "X-Treme Driving".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

He probably meant de-icing. It's because salt water still freezes at that temp.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 12:06:45 PM
in north dakota they use sand. it turns the streets into the lovely color of shit for months

Barrister

Quote from: Lacroix on December 14, 2009, 12:12:10 PM
in north dakota they use sand. it turns the streets into the lovely color of shit for months

Really?  Manitoba would use salt as well as sand.

Up here though (Yukom Territory) it's just sand.

Syt

Quote from: Lacroix on December 14, 2009, 12:12:10 PM

At least it's not a Russian Highway.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:15:29 PM

I got my info straight from the Iowa Extension Climatologist.  He wouldn't lie.

Sand works at any temperature because it provides grit.  It doesn't melt anything.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2009, 12:19:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:15:29 PM

I got my info straight from the Iowa Extension Climatologist.  He wouldn't lie.

Sand works at any temperature because it provides grit.  It doesn't melt anything.

No, I completely believe you.

I was just doubting Lacroix that they don't use salt.  As I mentioned Manitoba (north of North Dakota) would use salt because although it sometimes gets below that temperature, it isn't always that cold.

LaCroix

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:15:29 PMReally?  Manitoba would use salt as well as sand.

if i remember correctly, i think they occasionally used salt when i was much younger. in recent years, however, they've only used sand

@syt: i don't know, when i took a train from fargo to oakland last winter, western and central north dakota reminded me of what siberia must look like

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2009, 12:22:47 PM
No, I completely believe you.

I was just doubting Lacroix that they don't use salt.  As I mentioned Manitoba (north of North Dakota) would use salt because although it sometimes gets below that temperature, it isn't always that cold.
I suggest we hound him mercilessly until he flees the forum in distress.  :)

LaCroix

hmm..

QuoteThe state Transportation Department is not using the briny wastewater but has not ruled it out. "We will continue to evaluate it depending on the cost" of commercial road salt, said Billie Jo Lorius, a spokeswoman.

maybe i shouldn't have said north dakota, just fargo. i don't venture beyond the gates of the protected city. the savages in the rural area terrify me  :(

KRonn

In Eastern Massachusetts we had a few inches of snow late last week. It's been cold so the snow is still around, not melted, though rain last night and warmer temps today will probably melt a lot of it. Going to get colder again this week, below freezing, in the 20s F.