News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Duties of Marriage

Started by CountDeMoney, December 12, 2009, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

OK, since this whole Tiger Woods thing has come up, I've been having this discussion with a lady friend of mine regarding "wifely duties", adultery, etc.

In the whole "wondering why he'd do that shit" discussion, I posited the question of whether Mrs. Woods had, well, terminated "wifely duties", or at least brought them to a substantial curbing of frequency/quality/whathaveyou.

Now, she's of the opinion that, regardless of the state of the sexual relationship in a marriage, men have no right to violate the committment if the faucets are turned off, as a marriage can still be "emotionally fulfilling" without sex.  In short, just because he's not getting it at home, he still doesn't have the right to get it elsewhere, either.

I am of the opinion that, just as a husband does not possess the legal, moral or ecclesiastical right to rape his wife, neither does the wife possess the right to enforce celibacy unto her hubby.

So, when it comes to adultery, her operative term is "commitment".  Mine is "breach of contract".

For you married people, ex-married people, and people about to make that stupid ass mistake of a lifetime, what say you?  Is adultery justified in certain cases?

*For the record, my lady friend has her husband in "embargo" mode.  :P

grumbler

*Pops popcorn*

Excellent question.  I am taking a seat in the front row.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2009, 09:20:56 PM
In the whole "wondering why he'd do that shit" discussion

He's 33, the top athlete in his sport in the world, and worth a billion dollars, the question is why wouldn't he be banging tons of chicks on the side. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 12, 2009, 09:32:45 PM
In the whole "wondering why he'd do that shit" discussion

He's 33, the top athlete in his sport in the world, and worth a billion dollars, the question is why wouldn't he be banging tons of chicks on the side.

That's not the question.

Admiral Yi

Question works just as well the other way around.

Tonitrus

My general take on this, is that adultery is never ok...in that it is a level of betrayel that shouldn't be tolerated.

But that being said...if one thinks sex is important to the health of the relationshi(a perfectly legitimate view), and it comes to be severly lacking.  Then it is time to consider throwing out the "D" flag.

Admiral Yi

Camerus

Presumably the sex just doesn't stop overnight.  Surely some frank, calm discussion could help to solve the problem? 

If one of the partners is no longer interested in sexual intimacy, then a separation would make sense.

Strix

I believe that sex is part and parcel of the marriage agreement. It is implied and understood in most vows.

That being said, if a wife is unwilling to fulfill her vows and stops having than it doesn't give the man the right to seek sex elsewhere without her approval.

If a woman (or man) is unwilling to fulfill their vows than the marriage needs to be called into question. Either both sides reach an accord such as an open marriage or looking the other way about affairs OR the marriage needs to be ended.

Adultery is the coward's way out.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DisturbedPervert

It's ok as long as it's just a fuck, but he shouldn't make any kind of emotional relationship.

PDH

Wait, are we talking NO SEX or just "No" when the guy asks for anal?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on December 12, 2009, 11:07:12 PM
Wait, are we talking NO SEX or just "No" when the guy asks for anal?

No sex, or no sex for months on end.  So little to be inconsequential, like, on his birthday. 

You know, like fahdiz when he was married.  :P

Faeelin

I find the breach of contract analog amusing. You don't think marriage entails a promise to not lie to your wife and have sex with another woman?

An open marriage is fine, but lying or cheating? Nah.

Valmy

For you married people, ex-married people, and people about to make that stupid ass mistake of a lifetime, what say you?  Is adultery justified in certain cases?

Justified on the condition it is not a secret.  If you are too much of a bitch to tell your wife you are going to start sleeping around then you are an asshole and I have no respect for you.  I normally applaud being passive aggressive but there is just too much of being a contemptible loser about sneaking around sleeping with people as some sort of 'got you' for your wife holding out on you.

By the way women cheat alot also.  I am not sure why these discussions always act like it is always the man who cheats.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2009, 11:52:37 PM
By the way women cheat alot also.  I am not sure why these discussions always act like it is always the man who cheats.

Of course they do.  But, for the purposes of this discussion, I'm looking for an indictment of cuckholding wives. Not cheating ones. That, as Oprah would say, is for another show.