Main Menu

Uganda debates death penalty for gays

Started by DGuller, December 08, 2009, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: ulmont on December 10, 2009, 09:36:16 AM
The Unitarians, yes.

Just curious.  That is a pretty big tent to make generalizations about then.

Even "Baptist" is a big tent to make generalizations about, since just the differences in the US between "American Baptists," "Southern Baptists," and "Freewill Baptists" are great.

Sheilbh

I've no idea what unitarians are.  I think they're very American. 

Unitarianism wouldn't work in this country.  If you want the good bits of Christianity (cake sales, generally good moral shit, charity) without the difficulty of belief in the implausible then you just go to an Anglican church.
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2009, 09:35:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:22:52 AM
Does "protestant" cover everybody who is Christian and not Catholic or some sort of Orthodox variety?  Do my church or the Unitarians count as "protestants"?
Protestants are Western Churches that aren't Catholic.  Globally they're not Catholic, Ortho or Oriental :)
so, jehova witnesses are protestant? :unsure:

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:47:03 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 10, 2009, 09:39:17 AM
And magical power crystals are millenia older than that, you dumb cunt.  It doesn't make it any less new-age bullshit.
Go fuck yourself.  I don't need this bullshit.  If you need to believe not thinking Jesus is a zombie jew who committed a blood sacrifice to himself and everything else is "new age bullshit" go right fucking ahead.
You do need it.  You need to know what you are and what the beliefs you have chosen represent, and you need Me to teach you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lacroix on December 10, 2009, 09:51:29 AM
so, jehova witnesses are protestant? :unsure:
They're a branch of Protestantism, I imagine.
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

QuoteNoun 1. Jehovah's Witnesses - Protestant denomination founded in the United States by Charles Taze Russell in 1884

well, there you go.  :lol:

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:22:52 AM
Does "protestant" cover everybody who is Christian and not Catholic or some sort of Orthodox variety?  Do my church or the Unitarians count as "protestants"?
It doesn't cover Mennonites, Amish, Hutterites, etc. The Anabaptist churches trace their "lineage" to the apostles independent of the Roman Church.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on December 10, 2009, 10:01:20 AM
It doesn't cover Mennonites, Amish, Hutterites, etc. The Anabaptist churches trace their "lineage" to the apostles independent of the Roman Church.
Did those guys all start up before the Reformation?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2009, 10:08:32 AM
Quote from: Maximus on December 10, 2009, 10:01:20 AM

Yeah, but they are like Wiccans and believe that it was just all secret before then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Under those names(which were given to them by outsiders), probably. But they go back to apostolic times in their beliefs and baptismal lineage.

Sheilbh

Most of them started during the Reformation - 16th century - though there's a couple of heterodox groups in Europe who have similar beliefs before then.  Saying they trace their beliefs and practices to the early Church isn't terribly useful because every single Christian Church claims that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on December 10, 2009, 10:12:55 AM
Under those names(which were given to them by outsiders), probably. But they go back to apostolic times in their beliefs and baptismal lineage.
Please elaborate.

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2009, 10:15:27 AMSaying they trace their beliefs and practices to the early Church isn't terribly useful because every single Christian Church claims that.
Which is what makes them christian, but the protestants trace theirs through the Roman church. The Anabaptists do not.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2009, 10:15:52 AM
Please elaborate.
What's to elaborate? They existed since the apostles. Under different names, in different places, often in secrecy for obvious reasons.