News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Uganda debates death penalty for gays

Started by DGuller, December 08, 2009, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

mormons and jehova witnesses are their own, crazy little sect.

here are some catholics going against gay marriage, etc

http://www.americancatholic.org/news/report.aspx?id=1829

there are also protestant groups that are open to gay marriage, gay and female pastors, and the like. it just depends on a number of factors

syk

Quote from: Lacroix on December 09, 2009, 11:25:58 PM

there are also protestant groups that are open to gay marriage, gay and female pastors, and the like. it just depends on a number of factors
Aren't female pastors completely normal for protestant churches, or is that just a lutheran thing?

Faeelin

Quote from: syk on December 10, 2009, 12:07:33 AM
Aren't female pastors completely normal for protestant churches, or is that just a lutheran thing?

Nondenominational churches are useually opposed; I think Baptists are, but am as lazy as you about googling it.

Barrister

Not just Lutheran - I think most (all?) protestant denominations don't have an issue with women.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Viper, I think you are confusing "moderate" with "non-crazy". It's true that catholics are, on average, much less likely to have crazy charismatics, snake handlers, flat-earthists and the like (though it has more to do with having a central authority weeding out the crazies than with anything else). However, they are not really more progressive than protestants.

Several protestant groups have stuff like lesbian bishops - something that would be unheard of in the catholic church.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 10, 2009, 02:57:59 AM
Viper, I think you are confusing "moderate" with "non-crazy". It's true that catholics are, on average, much less likely to have crazy charismatics, snake handlers, flat-earthists and the like (though it has more to do with having a central authority weeding out the crazies than with anything else). However, they are not really more progressive than protestants.
I am not sure how much this just has to do with the limited number of Protestants in Poland, though.  I would argue that, in the US, on the other hand, your "average Catholic" probably is more progressive than your "average Protestant," if only because the Protestant average is skewed by the evangelicals.  In the US, btw, charismatics are distinctly different from snake handlers and the like.   I think that maybe what is called the charismatic movement in Poland is called the neocharismatic movement in the US (though even that movement, in the US, is pretty far from the snake handlers and speakers-in-tongues).  Or, maybe what you guys call charasmatic is what is called Pentecostalism in the US.

Just goes to show how hard it is to make generalizations across cultures.  The words can mean very different things, even when translated literally.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on December 10, 2009, 02:57:59 AM
Several protestant groups have stuff like lesbian bishops - something that would be unheard of in the catholic church.
Exactly.  Protestantism covers everything from Episcopal gay bishops to Seventh Day Adventists.  To say Catholics are more progressive isn't terribly useful because we don't know who they're being compared to.  They're more liberal than most evangelical groups, for sure (in a whole number of ways) but they're not significantly more 'moderate' than, say, the Episcopal Church of the USA.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

American Catholics are usually too drunk to get riled up about sin.

syk

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2009, 01:13:38 AM

Not just Lutheran - I think most (all?) protestant denominations don't have an issue with women.
Thanks, I thought so. The head of "our" branch of the church is a female bishop and divorced no less. Only recently the Russion Orthodox cut their links to the German Lutherans because of Margot Käßmann.

LaCroix

Quote from: syk on December 10, 2009, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2009, 01:13:38 AM

Thanks, I thought so. The head of "our" branch of the church is a female bishop and divorced no less. Only recently the Russion Orthodox cut their links to the German Lutherans because of Margot Käßmann.
there's still some controversy over it. my mother is extremely opposed to it, i do know that

http://www.religioustolerance.org/femclrg4.htm

however, i think this is the minority rather than the majority

syk

Just noticed that this would be the perfect thread for Paradox OT.  :hug:

Valmy

Are there protestant groups out there that do not allow female ministers/reverends/pastors?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Does "protestant" cover everybody who is Christian and not Catholic or some sort of Orthodox variety?  Do my church or the Unitarians count as "protestants"?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:21:03 AM
Are there protestant groups out there that do not allow female ministers/reverends/pastors?
The hillbilly Southern Baptist kids I went to high school with were allowed to skip church whenever a woman was conducting the service (non denominational church).

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2009, 09:25:39 AM
The hillbilly Southern Baptist kids I went to high school with were allowed to skip church whenever a woman was conducting the service (non denominational church).

Glad to see somebody pays attention to the Epistles to Timothy.