News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Uganda debates death penalty for gays

Started by DGuller, December 08, 2009, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

syk

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2009, 04:33:09 PM
Quote from: syk on December 09, 2009, 04:17:40 PM
NSFW! :mad:
some people might be surprised by their search results, but if they're searching for this, I think they already know it's NSFW :P
Fred Phelps is weeping for you!  :lol:

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2009, 04:33:39 PM
Quote from: Lacroix on December 09, 2009, 02:39:46 PM

and that proves my point.
i was disagreeing with you, although i'm not sure catholics are "much much more" moderate than protestants. i think it depends on where you're looking. german catholics in the rural midwest might hold similar beliefs to norwegian protestants in the same area, whereas catholics/protestants in the northeast would have different views

Barrister

Quote from: Lacroix on December 09, 2009, 05:27:03 PM

i was disagreeing with you, although i'm not sure catholics are "much much more" moderate than protestants. i think it depends on where you're looking. german catholics in the rural midwest might hold similar beliefs to norwegian protestants in the same area, whereas catholics/protestants in the northeast would have different views

You also should distinguish between people who identify themselves as belonging to a particular religion due to family or historic reasons (but haven't attended a service in years), and those who regularily attend.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2009, 05:29:42 PM

You also should distinguish between people who identify themselves as belonging to a particular religion due to family or historic reasons (but haven't attended a service in years), and those who regularily attend.

Yup, and catholicism is one of the most "sticky" religions.

Admiral Yi

I don't think I've seen that Catholic table enough times yet to really grasp its import.  Could maybe three or four more posters please quote it?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 05:40:57 PM
I don't think I've seen that Catholic table enough times yet to really grasp its import.  Could maybe three or four more posters please quote it?

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

grumbler

i was disagreeing with you, although i'm not sure catholics are "much much more" moderate than protestants.
You realize that this quote is noit a quote, and in fact verges on a strawman, right?  "Far more moderate" was the actual phrase used, and is significantly less emphatic than "'much, much more' moderate" is.

I don't have a stance on the issue per se; the Catholics I know (that i know are Catholics) are quite liberal, but anecdotal evidence isn't very useful.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2009, 05:54:11 PM
i was disagreeing with you, although i'm not sure catholics are "much much more" moderate than protestants.
You realize that this quote is noit a quote, and in fact verges on a strawman, right?  "Far more moderate" was the actual phrase used, and is significantly less emphatic than "'much, much more' moderate" is.

I don't have a stance on the issue per se; the Catholics I know (that i know are Catholics) are quite liberal, but anecdotal evidence isn't very useful.

but that's what viper said..
QuoteImho, occidental Catholics, especially in the US, are much much more moderate than their Protestants counterparts.

Sheilbh

Well it depends what you mean by moderate and what you mean by Protestant really. 

In England the Catholic Church is a bastion of inflexible moral values roundly ignored by an upper middle class faithful and fiercely upheld by an immigrant population (from Irish to Poles).  In comparison to the Church of England it is terrifyingly hard-line on everything.  However the Catholic Church is effectively a guitar led ecumenical sing along in comparison to the Kirk of Scotland.  I mean Scottish Churches don't even have cushions in case anyone accidentally enjoys themselves.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Lacroix on December 09, 2009, 06:10:38 PM
but that's what viper said..
QuoteImho, occidental Catholics, especially in the US, are much much more moderate than their Protestants counterparts.
Didn't see that tagged on at the bottom of that post.  My apologies, and observation withdrawn.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

it's cool, i figured that's what had happened. :hug:

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2009, 05:54:11 PM

One much too much, sorry. ;)

"Much more moderate."
They seem less preachy to me.  More open to compromises.

I've never heard of a Catholic priest trying to cure gays in the US or here.  Much less catholic missonaries than Jehovah's Witness knocking at my door.  And once you tell them to fuck off, they don't come back endlessy.

Imho, a proper question to ask in a survey would be "Would you vote for a candidate that openly declares himself atheist".  There we'll have a good comparison on their fanatism level ;) :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 09, 2009, 06:50:17 PM
Well it depends what you mean by moderate and what you mean by Protestant really. 

In England the Catholic Church is a bastion of inflexible moral values roundly ignored by an upper middle class faithful and fiercely upheld by an immigrant population (from Irish to Poles).  In comparison to the Church of England it is terrifyingly hard-line on everything.  However the Catholic Church is effectively a guitar led ecumenical sing along in comparison to the Kirk of Scotland.  I mean Scottish Churches don't even have cushions in case anyone accidentally enjoys themselves.
I'll admit the Anglican community seems a lot more open than the Catholics.  Not much of these around here, though.  In fact, I have no idea of how many Catholics we have left here.  Got to be somewhere around 50-60% of the people calling themselves Catholic.