2 (5.9%)
SIG P229
8 (23.5%)
Waah waah I'm a Euro/Canadian sissy and I'm gonna pee my pants
18 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2009, 02:27:51 PM
And FWIW I'm pretty impressed that the inevitable M1911 hijack got in as early as the 3rd reply.
Don't want, don't need .45 caliber.  Plus aren't .45 caliber bullets insanely expensive compared to most .22 or 9mm brands?  The SIG Mosquito is chambered for .22LR.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 02:33:57 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 02:30:49 PM
Don't want, don't need .45 caliber. 

What are you gonna do when attacked by berserk Filipino insurgents, then?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

.45 is overkill for a Flip methinks. -_-

Your reference was clever tho.  :cool:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 02:38:14 PM
.45 is overkill for a Flip methinks. -_-

Your reference was clever tho.  :cool:

I hear it's a point of pride among Filipinos that the Yanks invented a whole new calibre just for them.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on December 03, 2009, 02:42:57 PM
I hear it's a point of pride among Filipinos that the Yanks invented a whole new calibre just for them.  :D
:rolleyes:

It could have just as easily been invented "just for" the Cubans.  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 01:38:15 PM
Quote from: Slargos on December 03, 2009, 01:35:38 PM
If you're not going to use it against the most dangerous predator of all, that is to say black people, why not just settle for a .22 anyway?
I must defend my castle.  :)

Festung Caliga.

9mm is fine. I prefer a .38 for my CCW needs however.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I will probably get a license to carry here, but I doubt I will ever actually do it, which is why I was looking at the 19 over the 26.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 02:49:37 PM
I will probably get a license to carry here, but I doubt I will ever actually do it, which is why I was looking at the 19 over the 26.

I did have my dad's old .38 police long barrel, but stooped using that for a short .38.

I must always be prepared for attempts on my position.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 02:44:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 03, 2009, 02:42:57 PM
:rolleyes:

It could have just as easily been invented "just for" the Cubans.  :)

Well, apparently ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45

QuoteThe Cavalry had fielded some double action revolvers in .38 Long Colt. They determined that the .38-caliber round was significantly less effective against determined opponents, such as the warriors encountered in the Moro Rebellion of the Philippine–American War, than the .45 Colt.

Alatriste

Feeling insecure, Cal? I hear doctors can work wonders these days to solve that kind of problem...

[Gratuitous insult archived for future reference]

Caliga

@Mal - What I meant was that it just so happened that the Filipinos were the ones who violently revolted at that time, rather than the Cubans (which the US similarly acquired a protectorate over at the same time). ^_^

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 03, 2009, 03:02:05 PM
@Mal - What I meant was that it just so happened that the Filipinos were the ones who violently revolted at that time, rather than the Cubans (which the US similarly acquired a protectorate over at the same time). ^_^

Allegedly, the move to .45 was (in part) inspired with actual field experience with Moro rebels ... who just would not admit to being dead after being shot with smaller calibres.

Strix

The Glock 19 and 26 are basically the same gun. The 26 is just more compact. It is less accurate than the 19. I carry the 19 (with a 15 round mag) for a work weapon. I am also qualified to carry the 26 but choose not to do so.

Both run about $450-$500 in Western NY.

EDIT: The Glock 19 and 26 can jam a lot depending on your ammunition, state of the weapon, and shooting ability (if you don't lock your wrist right it won't reload properly). If you worry about jams than buy a revolver. A Smith & Wesson .357 with a .38 firing pin is a very nice weapon.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher