News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Vegetarian Spider

Started by Malthus, November 25, 2009, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

This is different and worthy of note ...

http://features.csmonitor.com/globalnews/2009/10/13/bagheera-kiplingi-a-vegetarian-spider-joins-worlds-jungle-book/

... though it isn't a pure vegetarian; it backslides a bit with the occasional ant snack.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

And, in further spider news, obsessive types make very expensive but nice tapestry out of spider silk:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113223398
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

What is it with you and creepies Malthus?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on November 25, 2009, 10:52:19 AM
What is it with you and creepies Malthus?

G.

I like 'em. I think they are fasinating. The fact that there are still new and bizzare species to be found makes me happy; that some people are so obsessed as to actually milk spiders for silk fills me with glee.

In a perfect world, I'd have been very happy as an eccentric 19th century naturalist. An independantly wealthy one, of course. :D

Richard Hakluyt

Plus you can chat to Carl about these things, nice to have a shared interest.

Caliga

Damn PETAtards have even gotten to the spiders now. :ultra:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2009, 11:03:15 AM

Yup.

He spotted this one (previously posted) at the cottage, and asked me to take a picture of it:

Caliga

Nice, what is that?  The biggest spiders we have at our house are corn spiders, the females of which get very large and colorful.  :)

We had two females living on the outside walls of our house (one on the front, and one on the back) all summer.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2009, 11:08:52 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 25, 2009, 11:03:15 AM

Yup.

He spotted this one (previously posted) at the cottage, and asked me to take a picture of it:

Dear God.  :bleeding:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

:huh: Spiders are awesome. :cool: Dude, they eat mosquitoes and gnats and shit.

Brazen

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2009, 10:32:52 AM
... though it isn't a pure vegetarian; it backslides a bit with the occasional ant snack.  :D
Like those "meat is murder, fish is justifiable homicide" types.

Grey Fox

Nice find, malthus.

The article, not the picture, I've seen it before.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Brazen on November 25, 2009, 11:22:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2009, 10:32:52 AM
Like those "meat is murder, fish is justifiable homicide" types.

Probably gets holier-than-thou about carbon emissions and the recycling of old webs too  <_<

Richard Hakluyt

PDH

Give up that worthless law career and come to the University of Wyoming, Malthus - they do all sorts of spider silk research here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM