News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is carbon sequestration really green?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 26, 2009, 11:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 27, 2009, 11:45:37 AM
There are vast quantities of carbon already sequestered in forests. Northern forests are increasing in biomass atm, but tropical forests are being logged. It's probably far cheaper to subsidise the maintainance of these forests than using far more complicated methods.
If we only used wood-derived energy sources* and ensured we planted as much as we used (and over-planted to account for the years it takes to grow a mature tree) we'd never use more carbon that would be used in photosynthesis.

*Like, say, oil and coal :P

Grallon

Who else has a feeling that all this agitation around carbon emissions is merely a delaying tactic?  As in: "Let's agree on some bogus objectives while we keep pumping and burning oil as if nothing had changed; by the time the shit hit the fan we'll be dead."

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jaron

Quote from: Grallon on November 27, 2009, 12:55:49 PM
Who else has a feeling that all this agitation around carbon emissions is merely a delaying tactic?  As in: "Let's agree on some bogus objectives while we keep pumping and burning oil as if nothing had changed; by the time the shit hit the fan we'll be dead."

G.

*cackle*
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on November 27, 2009, 12:55:49 PM

G.
Not me.  We already know sequestration "works."  Trees suck carbon out of the atmosphere.  I heard something on NPR that no-till planting helps too.  Whether artificial sequestration should be pursued is a technical question, not a philosophical or ideological one.

The purists (i.e. KRonn's relgious greens) seem to think the point of the excercise is to suffer nobly rather than to reduce carbon in the atmosphere.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2009, 11:42:40 PM
Fucking Luddites. <_<

Hello?

QuoteBy some estimates, current technology will require between 10 and 40 percent of a plant's power just to function, and there's no guarantee that the carbon will stay put. If even a fraction of injected CO2 seeps out from underground storage sites, it could trigger a chain of chemical reactions that would cause poisons to leech from rocks into the water supply, before eventually making its way back into the atmosphere where it would continue to warm the planet. And the technology might not be ready for large-scale deployment until 2030—about 15 years too late to avoid the worse effects of man-made global warming, according to many experts. Better to invest that money in renewable energy, opponents argue, than to waste it retrofitting coal-fired power plants, which will presumably be obsolete in the coming decades anyway.

Those are all valid concerns.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

If we cover the Sahara with nuke plants we should be OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.