News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Vegetarian Spider

Started by Malthus, November 25, 2009, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 11:13:36 AM
Nice, what is that?  The biggest spiders we have at our house are corn spiders, the females of which get very large and colorful.  :)

We had two females living on the outside walls of our house (one on the front, and one on the back) all summer.

That's a great picture! Did you take it?

Mine is of a so-called "Dock Spider". Also known as the "Fishing Spider", they are as you can see very "muscular" in build and adapted for fast running, rather than web-weaving. As the name suggests, they are often found near water and can 'walk' on water or even submerge themselves in search of underwater prey (they keep an air supply in a bubble around their abdomens). Some species are said to make underwater habitats and fill them with air from their bubbles, but I've never actually seen this.

They are alleged to have a powerful and painful bite, but not particularly poisionous to humans. I've never been bitten by one.

They grow extremely large, as you can see; this is an average-sized one. Some have hand-sized legspans. Very startling when they scuttle across your torso while sunning on the dock.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Nature/fishingspider.htm
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Mal's looks like a type of wolf spider. Mrs. MIM would know for sure.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2009, 11:30:53 AM
That's a great picture! Did you take it?
Nope, not my photo (but the two I had looked identical).

Ok, yeah, we have fishing spiders in Kentucky, too... but I've never actually seen one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 11:19:42 AM
:huh: Spiders are awesome. :cool: Dude, they eat mosquitoes and gnats and shit.
Regular temperate climate spiders that is.
Those beasts you have in warmer climates on the other hand....
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

uh... they're large but perfectly harmless.  The poisonous spiders we have here (the brown recluse, black widow) are actually quite small.

DisturbedPervert

I kill any spiders I encounter.  At least, I'll tell someone else to kill them for me.  Insects can be killed with toxic poisons, geckos, and anteaters instead.

Caliga

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Actually unless it's in my home, first priority is escape.   

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on November 25, 2009, 12:47:31 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2009, 11:19:42 AM
:huh: Spiders are awesome. :cool: Dude, they eat mosquitoes and gnats and shit.
Regular temperate climate spiders that is.
Those beasts you have in warmer climates on the other hand....

Heh, Dock Spiders actually live in (among other places) northern Quebec - a cold climate indeed; they still grow to an impressively huge size. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2009, 01:02:56 PM

Forget vegetarian spiders; that thing's big enough to be a humanitarian:D

Malthus

Lettow77

I hate brown recluses. I have a bit of a phobia of those fellows, as they like to hide in the worst possible places- under towels in the bathroom, and the like. I have a kill on sight policy.

Their status as a 'Southern' spider has done little to preserve them from my wrath.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 25, 2009, 03:57:15 PM
I hate brown recluses. I have a bit of a phobia of those fellows, as they like to hide in the worst possible places- under towels in the bathroom, and the like. I have a kill on sight policy.
Do you actually know for sure you have them?  We have spiders that I at first thought were brown recluses, but did some research and then later realized they were actually grass spiders.  I've never seen a spider in my house that I was 100% sure was a recluse.  Princesca insists she saw a black widow once but I am skeptical.

Lettow77

Oh, yeah. Done careful comparisons. They infest old sheds, abandoned clothes heaps, any sort of place they might be able to get me, which I am sure is their goal.

Definetely brown recluses. Memphis is pretty much the heart of brown recluse territory; I think we might have a denser population in west TN than anywhere else.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'