News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The recipe thread

Started by Pedrito, November 23, 2009, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2010, 07:04:17 PM
Heh, I remember playing that game with my nephew.

What was little grumbler like back then?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Did you: get them back to Funkotron.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 07:12:00 PM

Don't remember.  :blush:

I liked playing NHL 94 best, along with General Chaos and Road Rash.

Little turd always knocked me off my motorcycle.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

4 Tomatoes
2 Bell Peppers
2 small cucumbers (ca. 250g)
1 medium onion
1-2 jalapenos
300-500g bologna sausage (I'm using Turky Extrawurst)
1 can of corn
1 can of red beans

Chop tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, jalapenos, sausage. Drain corn and beans. Mix it all together.

For the dressing:
olive oil
white wine vinegar
dijon mustard
tabasco
Italian herbs

Mix ingredients to taste and add to salad - enough to giveit some consistency, not so much that it pools a cm high at the bottom. ;)

If you feel like it, you can add chopped cheese (cheddar or gouda) to the salad.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Smoked Tuna Dip

2 lbs. Sashimi grade Tuna Steaks
2 cups mayonnaise
¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce

For the Marinade:

1 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Cup Honey
1 bunch green onions sliced
2 bulbs garlic minced
2 table spoons mixed ginger

Combine marinade ingredients into a plastic bag and add fish.  Brine overnight, hot smoke fish for 3 hours then combine in a food processor with mayonnaise and Worcestershire.  Put in a bowl in refrigerator for 24 hours.  Serve with crackers.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

citizen k

MadImmortalMan

Mom made a turkey for Easter and brought it over. By the time everyone (all of my poor family members) had taken their spoils home, I was left with basically just the skeleton. Here's what I did.

Turkey Drop Soup

1: Stick the leftover bird and carrots/onions/whatever was roasted with it in a pot and cover it with just enough water that the breastbone sticks out. Simmer most of a day on very low heat. I did about 8 hours I think. Don't boil it. Just a little water movement.

2: Once that's done, the turkey will no longer be a turkey-shaped object. It will be a pile of stuff. Pour off the water(now broth) into another pot so all the solids are left. Use a strainer maybe. Pull out whatever pieces of meat you can get from the bones and spent veggies and put it in the liquid. There's usually quite a lot. Be careful not to keep any bones. At this point you may want to remove some of the fat from the broth. If you're careful, you can ladle it off the top. If you have time, just stick it in the fridge for a couple hours. The fat will freeze on top and you can just take it off that way. You don't want to take it all out though for this.

3: Toss the bones and other mush and then get some eggs. You're supposed to use whites, or a 2/1 ratio of whites/yolk for egg drop, I think. It doesn't really matter. I don't follow rules well.

4: Make the broth however you want. I add a little soy, sesame or fish sauce maybe. You might want to add some stuff to strengthen the flavor if you simmered for less time or took out a lot of the fat. I usually don't need to. Add some salt, whatever. If it's a post-Thanksgiving thing, you can add some of that leftover gravy too. I also like to make it spicier with some chili oil and ginger. As you can probably tell, I rarely use measuring devices of any kind in my kitchen.

5: Once you have your broth the flavor you want, bring it to a hot boil. Whip up the eggs with a fork and drizzle them slowly off the fork into the boiling liquid. They should cook instantly. Add corn starch to thicken the soup to the consistency you like and you're done.

There will be exactly two things in the soup at this point. Turkey and eggs. If you want you can add some veggies or other stuff during stage 4. I prefer to be minimalist on it though. It shouldn't need too much other stuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Today's chili:

1 pound of ground beef
1 chopped onion
5 chopped, small, pickled red peppers (leave the seed pips)
1 packet tomato pulp (ca. 1/4 liter)
1 jar of taco sauce (hot)
3 table spoons chili powder
1 tea spoon cumin
1 tea spoon cayenne
1 table spoon ground pepper
1 tea spoon ground garlic
1 dash of cinnamon
2 sugar cubes
2 cans of Heinz Sweet Chili Beans
salt to taste

Brown beef. Add chopped onions and peppers, spices, brown some more. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then let simmer for an hour or so. Stir occasionally. Add water (or better: broth) if necessary. Serve with shredded cheese and Italian bread.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Scipio

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2011, 05:13:16 PM
Mom made a turkey for Easter and brought it over. By the time everyone (all of my poor family members) had taken their spoils home, I was left with basically just the skeleton. Here's what I did.

Turkey Drop Soup

1: Stick the leftover bird and carrots/onions/whatever was roasted with it in a pot and cover it with just enough water that the breastbone sticks out. Simmer most of a day on very low heat. I did about 8 hours I think. Don't boil it. Just a little water movement.

2: Once that's done, the turkey will no longer be a turkey-shaped object. It will be a pile of stuff. Pour off the water(now broth) into another pot so all the solids are left. Use a strainer maybe. Pull out whatever pieces of meat you can get from the bones and spent veggies and put it in the liquid. There's usually quite a lot. Be careful not to keep any bones. At this point you may want to remove some of the fat from the broth. If you're careful, you can ladle it off the top. If you have time, just stick it in the fridge for a couple hours. The fat will freeze on top and you can just take it off that way. You don't want to take it all out though for this.

3: Toss the bones and other mush and then get some eggs. You're supposed to use whites, or a 2/1 ratio of whites/yolk for egg drop, I think. It doesn't really matter. I don't follow rules well.

4: Make the broth however you want. I add a little soy, sesame or fish sauce maybe. You might want to add some stuff to strengthen the flavor if you simmered for less time or took out a lot of the fat. I usually don't need to. Add some salt, whatever. If it's a post-Thanksgiving thing, you can add some of that leftover gravy too. I also like to make it spicier with some chili oil and ginger. As you can probably tell, I rarely use measuring devices of any kind in my kitchen.

5: Once you have your broth the flavor you want, bring it to a hot boil. Whip up the eggs with a fork and drizzle them slowly off the fork into the boiling liquid. They should cook instantly. Add corn starch to thicken the soup to the consistency you like and you're done.

There will be exactly two things in the soup at this point. Turkey and eggs. If you want you can add some veggies or other stuff during stage 4. I prefer to be minimalist on it though. It shouldn't need too much other stuff.
That sounds fucking delicious.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on August 06, 2011, 08:27:25 AM
Today's chili:

1 pound of ground beef
1 chopped onion
5 chopped, small, pickled red peppers (leave the seed pips)
1 packet tomato pulp (ca. 1/4 liter)
1 jar of taco sauce (hot)
3 table spoons chili powder
1 tea spoon cumin
1 tea spoon cayenne
1 table spoon ground pepper
1 tea spoon ground garlic
1 dash of cinnamon
2 sugar cubes
2 cans of Heinz Sweet Chili Beans
salt to taste

Brown beef. Add chopped onions and peppers, spices, brown some more. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then let simmer for an hour or so. Stir occasionally. Add water (or better: broth) if necessary. Serve with shredded cheese and Italian bread.

How DARE you cook the beans and chili together! :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

If you were to use a red wine to baste chicken with, what would you use?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2011, 07:08:58 PM
If you were to use a red wine to baste chicken with, what would you use?

Mark West Pinot Noir, because it's a really good cheap pinot noir and about the only red wine I keep around all the time.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2010, 07:14:40 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 07:12:00 PM

Don't remember.  :blush:

I liked playing NHL 94 best, along with General Chaos and Road Rash.

Little turd always knocked me off my motorcycle.

Great games.  Road Rash was the only racing game I ever liked.  General Chaos was great fun as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Scipio on August 06, 2011, 03:42:28 PM
That sounds fucking delicious.

I'm still dreaming about it. It was wonderful. I'll be doing it every time there is a cooked turkey around.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

I'm a foreigner and don't know any better. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould