News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The recipe thread

Started by Pedrito, November 23, 2009, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Stock adds complexity but has a fairly neutral flavor. It's supposed to be used as a base for things like broths, soups and sauces. It's got very little fat in it when done right. Broth is more strongly flavored aka soup. You can use chicken stock to cook pork or duck dishes, for example, but you can't use chicken broth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Ok so basically the opposite of what I said.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Ok, so to make a good risotto you use stock, for thick soups you use broth.

Thanks  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

citizen k

For Cal:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/kentucky_burgoo/

QuoteBurgoo! Just word itself sounds like there should be a song about it (and there is). If you are unfamiliar with the concept of burgoo, it's Kentucky's most famous stew, usually made for big gatherings (such as Derby Day) in huge kettles. Burgoo dates to before the Civil War and as legend has it, was invented by a French chef. Like a mulligan stew, it's sort of a empty-the-fridge recipe. Burgoos typically have at least three different meats, and plenty of vegetables such as corn, okra, and lima beans. Burgoo lovers differ on whether the stew ought to be cooked into a brown, undifferentiated mass, or whether you can still see individual ingredients. Some say burgoo is just a stew if you can't stand a spoon in it.

In this version of burgoo, we like to know what we're eating (pork, beef, or chicken), so it's not cooked as long as others. If you want more of a mélange, just cook the meat longer. As with most stews, burgoo is even better the second day. It's excellent as a Sunday dinner when you want lunches for the coming week.

Caliga

Also meh (like I said about hot browns in the Derby thread).  I've had it at like 3-4 restaurants.  It's decent stew, but nothing amazing.

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 06:35:17 PM
Also meh (like I said about hot browns in the Derby thread).  I've had it at like 3-4 restaurants.  It's decent stew, but nothing amazing.

Burgoo is not meh. You little fake ass frugal gourmet.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Oh, I forgot to mention that I went to Zaxby's for lunch today (not sure if they have those in Kalifornia but it's an "upscale" fast food chicken chain) and the cashier reminded me of Jaron. :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 06:48:18 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that I went to Zaxby's for lunch today (not sure if they have those in Kalifornia but it's an "upscale" fast food chicken chain) and the cashier reminded me of Jaron. :)

:hmm:

Ed Anger

Jaron

Ed Anger

Caliga

Ed Anger

Heh, I remember playing that game with my nephew.