News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The recipe thread

Started by Pedrito, November 23, 2009, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I got a free bread machine from my credit card company (they have this rewards program thingy) coming in the mail.

Tell me some good shit to do with it, peeps.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2010, 05:35:14 PM
I got a free bread machine from my credit card company (they have this rewards program thingy) coming in the mail.

I heard you can make bread with it.

Ed Anger

Go to store. Buy a bread mix for bread machines. Follow directions. You get: bread.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2010, 06:06:37 PM

Go to store. Buy a bread mix for bread machines. Follow directions. You get: bread.

You'll probably have to buy the specific bread mix for that machine.  The mix will be discontinued as of last January.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2010, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2010, 06:06:37 PM

You'll probably have to buy the specific bread mix for that machine.  The mix will be discontinued as of last January.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2010, 08:04:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2010, 05:39:13 PM
I heard you can make bread with it.
Really? Awesome.  :)
Glad to be of help.  There are plenty of people here giving out smart-ass answers, and those are neither helpful nor funny.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2010, 02:27:55 PM
Take any piece of meat.  Season with salt and pepper, cook in a pan with oil.  Defrost some frozen veggies for a side.

On a similar note, tonight I grilled a London broil (a thick top sirloin steak) rubbed in cracked pepper and sea salt.  Served with (formerly) frozen green beans and (formerly) frozen biscuits.

By the way, Pillsbury makes a frozen version of Grands biscuits now, and they're the best thing to happen to biscuits since canned biscuit dough.  They keep for months in the freezer, cook from frozen, and you can make exactly the number of biscuits you want.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on March 10, 2010, 05:29:47 PM
Do any of you Chef Boiardis know recipes that have at most 4 ingredients, with nothing complicated to do with them?  Some of us are bachelors without any cooking skills, you know?

Four ingredients is tough, but I do know several fairly simple recipes.

These two are straight off of the appropriate McCormick's seasoning packets:

Tacos
1 lb. ground beef
1 packet McCormick's taco seasoning

Brown the ground beef.  Drain fat and add 1/2 cup of water and the seasoning packet.  Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.  Serve in the shells or tortillas of your choice with whatever toppings you desire (I usually do lettuce, onion, cheese, and sauce).

Chili
1 lb ground beef
1 14oz can of tomato sauce (not pasta sauce)
1 can of pinto or chili beams
1 packet McCormick's chili seasoning

Brown the ground beef.  Drain fat and add 1/2 cup of water, beans, tomato sauce, and seasoning packet.  Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.  I like to serve with fresh diced onion and cheese, and eat it with saltines or tortilla chips.

Couple of easy hot sides:

Sautéed spinach
2 cups spinach
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic

Add oil and garlic to the pan.  Heat over medium heat until garlic starts to sizzle.  Dump in spinach and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes, or until spinach reaches desired tenderness.  On the garlic, the Spice World jarred garlic is fine.

Sautéed baby carrots
8oz baby carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp oregano

Heat oil over medium heat.  When oil is hot enough to run line water (swish the pan around to tell) add oregano and carrots.  Sauté for 2 - 3 minutes or until carrots reach desired doneness.  Carrots should be rotated continuously to avoid overcooking one side.

I recently concocted a Mexican dish that grew out of trying to reuse some leftover taco meat.  This has several ingredients but doesn't require much touch labor:

Mexican (almost) one-pot
1 lb ground beef
2 packets McCormick's taco seasoning
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 bag boil-in-bag rice (white or brown)
1 can black beans
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green or poblano pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped

Cook ground beef per the taco instructions above.  Make rice per the instructions on the box.  After rice and meat are cooked, combine them in a pot along with Ro-Tel, chopped vegetables, and black beans (drain the black beans first).  Stir in 1/2 cup of water and the other seasoning packet and cook for 15 minutes.  Serve in tortillas or on tostadas.  You may be able to cut the touch labor by finding a store that sells pre-chopped onions and peppers.

For other ideas, check out the section of the spice aisle with the various seasoning packets.  There are numerous seasoning combinations like the McCormick's packets above that you simply add a meat to, which simplifies the core of the meal.  After that, just add a side or two like the simple ones I posted above or, like Beeb said, just heat up some frozen vegetables.  Of course, you could always grill, or fry, some hamburgers or hot dogs, too.

Pedrito

Raisin bread :mmm:
olive bread
onion bread

add some sugar to the ingredients and the bread will become more crusty and delicious.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

My bread machine has arrived.  It came with a pretty long list of recipes, among them focaccia, soft pretzels, and cinnamon rolls. :mmm:

DGuller

Have fun while it lasts, in two weeks you'll permanently leave it in the basement.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2010, 08:58:02 PM
Have fun while it lasts, in two weeks you'll permanently leave it in the basement.
I use my rice cooker all the time, and I've had that for several years.  Same with my electric griddle.

sbr

My electric griddle is one of my favorites, I use it all the time. 

Caliga

The only nifty appliance I have and really don't use anymore is an ice cream maker.  I used it quite a bit when I first got it, but it kinda fell by the wayside when I realized eating ice cream all the time didn't really do wonders for my diet.