News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on November 20, 2009, 06:31:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2009, 05:41:46 PM
I technically should have voted "North American - No" but my opinion would be different were I a Euro (where this is actually an issue), so I voted Euro-Yes.

We have plenty of room here for mooselimbs as long as they are not of the radical variety & make some attempt to assimilate, but Europe is a different matter.  It's kind of like a theme park you don't want to ever change.

Why don't you vote like yourself and stop pretending to be able to read our minds?

We know what you are thinking.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2009, 06:33:07 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 20, 2009, 06:31:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2009, 05:41:46 PM
I technically should have voted "North American - No" but my opinion would be different were I a Euro (where this is actually an issue), so I voted Euro-Yes.

We have plenty of room here for mooselimbs as long as they are not of the radical variety & make some attempt to assimilate, but Europe is a different matter.  It's kind of like a theme park you don't want to ever change.

Why don't you vote like yourself and stop pretending to be able to read our minds?

We know what you are thinking.

I knew I shouldn't have drank the fluoridated water!

Ed Anger

Fluoridation is a communist conspiracy.

Americans spike your soft drinks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on November 20, 2009, 11:50:50 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2009, 11:39:52 AM
Of course not. That's stupid.

Hmmm I wonder how much of the opposition is motivated by political correctness? 

Is there no grounds then to the argument that Islam is dangerous and it's propagation should be curtailed? 

And please let's not compare 'AIDS Warriors' whith fanatical jihadists...

G.

Is "political correctness" the new code word for "doing the right thing even if you'd rather not" these days? It seems to be thrown around these days every time someone is told he can't hate fags, blacks, muslims, immigrants and whatnot.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2009, 02:31:31 PM
Well keep in mind, the Swiss didn't allow women to vote until the 1970's.

Even the broken clock is right twice a day, though.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2009, 02:50:23 PM
I don't mind the call to prayer, if it is done well and not at an inappropriate time.

I also like the sound of church bells. I live near three churches and I kinda like hearing 'em. I wouldn't like it much at 5 am though.

What I hated in Indonesia was the cheap-ass calls to prayer that were just bad tape recordings. Have some guy with a good voice do it live.

There was a case in Poland recently where a local priest installed a hi-fi church bell system that would pretty much wake up the entire neighborhood at 6 a.m. So it's not just muezzins. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 20, 2009, 05:24:15 PM
one of the problems with the mosques/minarets is that people have figured out that there's no reciprocity in many/most muslim countries.

I thought human rights are rights possessed by, you know, humans. Not cultures, religions or ethnic groups.

That's why talking about reciprocity in the context of human rights is rather stupid.

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on November 20, 2009, 06:26:33 PM

...The human rights records of various muslim countries are of concern, but I don't subscribe to some team Christian vs team Muslim narrative.  Fuck that noise.

You are hopelessly naive Jacob.  *shakes head*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2009, 06:45:15 PM

Is "political correctness" the new code word for "doing the right thing even if you'd rather not" these days? It seems to be thrown around these days every time someone is told he can't hate fags, blacks, muslims, immigrants and whatnot.

I'm not sure I'm following you Marty...  I don't mind muslims so long as when they move over here they assimilate; i.e. they abandon the ridiculous superstitions/values that make their various sub-cultures inferior to western ones (precedence of religion over rule of law, precedence of tribal mores over human rights, slavery of women, etc).

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sophie Scholl

If we start becoming more and more like our supposed enemies in order to combat them, even if we "win" we lose.  It's our freedoms which define our nations, if we start curbing them in order to combat our enemies, real or imagined, then we are no longer the nations we were.  Losing to some supposed Islamic threat will be secondary, as we'll have already lost to our own fears and prejudices.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Faeelin

Quote from: Grallon on November 20, 2009, 07:06:52 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you Marty...  I don't mind muslims so long as when they move over here they assimilate; i.e. they abandon the ridiculous superstitions/values that make their various sub-cultures inferior to western ones (precedence of religion over rule of law, precedence of tribal mores over human rights, slavery of women, etc).

It's funny, you would be incredibly homophobic if you were straight.

Slargos

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on November 20, 2009, 08:52:11 PM
If we start becoming more and more like our supposed enemies in order to combat them, even if we "win" we lose.  It's our freedoms which define our nations, if we start curbing them in order to combat our enemies, real or imagined, then we are no longer the nations we were.  Losing to some supposed Islamic threat will be secondary, as we'll have already lost to our own fears and prejudices.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but when you put your hand in a pile of goo that was once your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

It's chinatown.

Sophie Scholl

Are you trying to suggest I pirated that from a movie or something? :huh:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."