News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 08, 2009, 06:13:33 AM
I asked a Polish friend who lived in the US for four years and he confirmed my understanding, and not yours.

Could anyone else who is not a fucking retard (read: grumbler, Berkut) weigh in on this please?
In a non-political context you could say "I tolerate the raccoons who fuck up my garbage because they are so cute."

In a political context you're not supposed to say "I tolerate those goddamn fags sucking each other's dicks down at the gay bar because I'm such a tolerant person."

Ok, ok. But then we are talking about "tolerance" in a legal/ideological context, not a political one. I think that means "I tolerate those goddamn fags marrying each other, adopting kids, teaching at schools, serving in the military and not being discriminated against even if I think sucking dicks is disgusting." could be seen as an expression of tolerance.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 10:12:43 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
In a non-political context you could say "I tolerate the raccoons who fuck up my garbage because they are so cute."

In a political context you're not supposed to say "I tolerate those goddamn fags sucking each other's dicks down at the gay bar because I'm such a tolerant person."
:lol: I agree.  I don't know what the dictionary says, but the common use of "tolerant" includes not being overly derogatory.  That doesn't mean that you can't voice your personal disapproval in a poite way, however.

Well I agree that in practice, it is often difficult to separate the two (i.e. being tolerant in terms of equality under law/equal protection and not being rude), and having derogatory public discourse often leads to increasing intolerance, but in a purely hypothetical/theoretical level, I don't see how you can't be tolerant while being rude and abrasive. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 08, 2009, 10:20:12 AM
Well I agree that in practice, it is often difficult to separate the two (i.e. being tolerant in terms of equality under law/equal protection and not being rude), and having derogatory public discourse often leads to increasing intolerance, but in a purely hypothetical/theoretical level, I don't see how you can't be tolerant while being rude and abrasive. :P
Subtext and connotation.  If you describe yourself as tolerant people will have expectations.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 10:12:43 AM
:lol: I agree.  I don't know what the dictionary says, but the common use of "tolerant" includes not being overly derogatory.  That doesn't mean that you can't voice your personal disapproval in a poite way, however.

[Marti the Tolerant] That's not the answer I want, so you are a fucking retard.

Could anyone else who is not a fucking retard (read: DGuller, Yi, grumbler, Berkut) weigh in on this please? [/Marti the Tolerant]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I do see your point, and I think it's a valid one.  The basic principle of tolerance is not imposing your beliefs on others, and being verbally abusive doesn't impose anything on others except your own rudeness.  I guess another reason you mentioned, that derogatory discourse leads to intolerance, is why the word "tolerance" is interpreted the way it is.

Martinus

Well, being tolerant is hard when one is surrounded by fucking retards. :P

Anyway, let's change the subject.  :lol:

Edit: it was in response to grumbler. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 08, 2009, 10:29:27 AM

This is why I never liked the whole concept of being tolerant of things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I tolerate Michigan fans. Michigan State and Marshall fans, not so much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Although grumbler and his semantic playlets can be irritating, it so hard to admit you were wrong?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 08, 2009, 10:34:57 AM
Marshall fans,

Be *very* glad you didn't spend time in Huntington during the 90s.  The level of idiocy & delusion amongst Herd fans when they were winning Division IAA championships was truly something to behold.

Ironically, I sort of miss it.  As irritating as they are, they're also quite entertaining when they're winning.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Anyone seen that movie We Are Marshall? And was it any good?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2009, 12:31:59 PM
It's decent.  Don't plan your life around seeing it.

Eddie Teach

It's on my bucket list. Another movie I haven't seen.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

[DGuller] Also notice how conveniently grumbler Marti stops addressing the matter once people after Brain Yi starts confirming my recollection grumbler's point about the meaning of the word. [/DGuller]  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 12:35:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2009, 12:31:59 PM
It's decent.  Don't plan your life around seeing it.

It's a decent movie but there's not as much actual football in it as you'd think.  Unfortunately, a lot of the story had to be fictionalized to make it more interesting.  A few examples:

*The "famous" pie at the diner (and the diner itself) had to be made-up, because Huntington doesn't have any local food or restaurant in its history worth mentioning.  A minor nitpick, but from a native's perspective, it was funny to see them throw that in.

*The pivotal moment of the movie never occurred-- there was no high-level hearing to decide the fate of the football program, and there certainly wasn't a huge crowd gathered outside chanting "We Are Marshall"

*The "We Are Marshall" chant never even existed until the mid to late 1980s.  I guess they had to come up with something to name the movie, but it seems a bit awkward.

*WVU and Marshall were not rivals, as was alluded to in the movie.  But that shouldn't take anything away from how WVU (and Bobby Bowden in particular) went out of their way to show sympathy & help out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall