News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on December 07, 2009, 04:29:36 PM
Stating that 9/11 Truthers are full of shit will not cause you to lose the Democrat primary.

Stating that man evolved from a pile of goo consisting of ribonucleotides and lipid membranes will cause you to lose the Republican primary in a landslide.
If you were to dial it down by a factor of 10 I would probably agree.  Maybe 100.

grumbler

Stating that man evolved from a pile of goo consisting of ribonucleotides and lipid membranes will cause you to lose the Republican primary in a landslide.
It will also cause you to lose the Democrat primary in a landslide.  Primary voters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, and your primary opponent would use such egghead talk to crush you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

I think the primaries' system is one of the reasons why American politics is so polarized. You guys need to get rid of it. :P

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 05:27:46 PM
It will also cause you to lose the Democrat primary in a landslide.  Primary voters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, and your primary opponent would use such egghead talk to crush you.
Incorrect. All you have to do is preface the statement with hope, conclude it with change, and then victory is guaranteed.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 05:31:20 PM
I think the primaries' system is one of the reasons why American politics is so polarized. You guys need to get rid of it. :P
Well, it is a party thing, not a public thing, so I cannot think of any way to get rid of it.  The conventions are worse, but the primary system sure isn't good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2009, 10:58:59 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:39:08 AM
I was laughing at (and thus, I thought, encouraging) what I thought was a deliberate bon mot on DGuller's part. 

It never occurred to me that he was serious.

I have never stated that "sides embrace tolerance equally" and would, in fact, contend that there are far more than two "sides" when it comes to tolerance.
I was expressing an honest sentiment in a slightly exaggerated language.  Whenever there is a disputed issue that's close to 50/50, and that issue has a pretty undisputed retarded and non-retarded side, you can be very sure that those identifying themselves as Republicans will make up the bulk of the retarded side.  I can't think of one issue off the top of my head where Democrats fall on the retarded end of the spectrum.
Playoffs in college football?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 03:56:24 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 03:08:42 PM
Again, tolerance does not involve being nice or polite. Tolerance is an ideological/political stance, not an emotional or social one.
I think this is just one of those cases where the English word doesn't mean what you think it does.  I am not sure what word you are looking for, but "wow, what a retarded response!" is not an example of "tolerant."  Maybe you can get some Polish friend with a better grasp of English to help you find it.

I asked a Polish friend who lived in the US for four years and he confirmed my understanding, and not yours.

Could anyone else who is not a fucking retard (read: grumbler, Berkut) weigh in on this please?

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:46:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 10:08:52 AM
Wow, what a retarded response. Seriously.

(snip)

Seriously, why do you sometimes come with something so retarded like this is beyond me. Is it too early in the morning or what?
There you have the self-proclaimed voice of "tolerance," people!  :lmfao:

:face:

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on December 08, 2009, 06:13:33 AM

Could anyone else who is not a fucking retard (read: grumbler, Berkut) weigh in on this please?

You can stop tolerating Berk and grumbler. Tell us how you really feel.

grumbler

I asked a Polish friend who lived in the US for four years and he confirmed my understanding, and not yours.
Maybe it is a genetic thing that polacks cannot understand the word, because so far Poles are 0 for 2 on the topic.

here is Princeton's Wordnet on "Tolerant" (my bold, showing how you fail each possible meaning):
Quote* showing respect for the rights or opinions or practices of others
* kind: tolerant and forgiving under provocation; "our neighbor was very kind about the window our son broke"
* broad: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"

Suggestion: stop deluding yourself into thinking that you are tolerant, and move on.

Bayraktar!

Syt

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tolerance

Quotetol⋅er⋅ance
  /ˈtɒlərəns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tol-er-uhns] Show IPA
Use tolerance in a Sentence
See web results for tolerance
See images of tolerance
–noun
1.    a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
2.    a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
3.    interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint.
4.    the act or capacity of enduring; endurance: My tolerance of noise is limited.
5.    Medicine/Medical, Immunology.
a.    the power of enduring or resisting the action of a drug, poison, etc.: a tolerance to antibiotics.
b.    the lack of or low levels of immune response to transplanted tissue or other foreign substance that is normally immunogenic.
6.    Machinery.
a.    the permissible range of variation in a dimension of an object. Compare allowance (def. 8).
b.    the permissible variation of an object or objects in some characteristic such as hardness, weight, or quantity.
7.    Also called allowance. Coining. a permissible deviation in the fineness and weight of coin, owing to the difficulty of securing exact conformity to the standard prescribed by law.
Origin:
1375–1425; late ME < L tolerantia. See tolerant, -ance

Synonyms:
1, 2. patience, sufferance, forbearance; liberality, impartiality, open-mindedness. Tolerance, toleration agree in allowing the right of something that one does not approve. Tolerance suggests a liberal spirit toward the views and actions of others: tolerance toward religious minorities. Toleration implies the allowance or sufferance of conduct with which one is not in accord: toleration of graft.

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tolerant
Quotetol⋅er⋅ant
  /ˈtɒlərənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tol-er-uhnt] Show IPA
Use tolerant in a Sentence
See web results for tolerant
See images of tolerant
–adjective
1.    inclined or disposed to tolerate; showing tolerance; forbearing: tolerant of errors.
2.    favoring toleration: a tolerant church.
3.    Medicine/Medical, Immunology.
a.    able to endure or resist the action of a drug, poison, etc.
b.    lacking or exhibiting low levels of immune response to a normally immunogenic substance.
Origin:
1770–80; < L tolerant- (s. of tolerāns), prp. of tolerāre to bear. See tolerate, -ant

Related forms:
tol⋅er⋅ant⋅ly, adverb
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009. 

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

In a non-political context you could say "I tolerate the raccoons who fuck up my garbage because they are so cute."

In a political context you're not supposed to say "I tolerate those goddamn fags sucking each other's dicks down at the gay bar because I'm such a tolerant person."

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
In a non-political context you could say "I tolerate the raccoons who fuck up my garbage because they are so cute."

In a political context you're not supposed to say "I tolerate those goddamn fags sucking each other's dicks down at the gay bar because I'm such a tolerant person."

[Marti the Tolerant] That's not the answer I want, so you are a fucking retard.

Could anyone else who is not a fucking retard (read: Yi, grumbler, Berkut) weigh in on this please? [/Marti the Tolerant]

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2009, 09:45:10 AM

:lol: I agree.  I don't know what the dictionary says, but the common use of "tolerant" includes not being overly derogatory.  That doesn't mean that you can't voice your personal disapproval in a poite way, however.