News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anti-Minaret Online Referendum

Started by Grallon, November 20, 2009, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of a ban on the building of minarets/mosques?

European - Yes
9 (12.2%)
European - No
26 (35.1%)
North American - Yes
6 (8.1%)
North American - No
31 (41.9%)
Other - Yes
0 (0%)
Other - No
1 (1.4%)
N/A
0 (0%)
Meaningless Jaron Option
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:56:45 AM
I also can't see how Democrats are "intolerant" of wealth or business. Communists were intolerant of wealth or business - they put wealthy people in gulags, they banned private ownership of businesses, etc.
By that definition of tolerance Republicans are tolerant of gays too, since we don't have any gulags for gays.

QuoteAttempting to strike a balance between individual rights of different people is a middle ground position - not one of intolerance. In fact, while some left-leaning Democrats may be not too happy about businesses and wealthy people - they are remarkably tolerant of them, unlike Republicans who want to ban everything they dislike.
Really?  Where is your evidence for that tolerance?  Where is your evidence that Republicans want to ban everything they dislike?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2009, 10:18:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 10:08:52 AM
Wow, what a retarded response. Seriously.

Valmy: I'm glad the Constitution prevents people from adopting an anti-freedom measure A.
Me: Pity it does not prevent people from adopting an anti-freedom measure B, though.
Valmy: And for a good reason, since it doesn't say anything about B.

Seriously, why do you sometimes come with something so retarded like this is beyond me. Is it too early in the morning or what?

That is not what you said.  You said that it didn't prevent anti-freedom measure B and there is a perfectly good reason for that.  If you had actually said pity it did not prevent anti-freedom measure B then I would have agreed.

Ok that's what I meant.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 10:21:59 AM
Ok that's what I meant.

In that case what I meant was 'yep that is a pity'. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:38:54 AM
It's just that grumbler and yi seem to think this is not the case and that both sides embrace tolerance equally - something you and me appear to disagree with.
I was laughing at (and thus, I thought, encouraging) what I thought was a deliberate bon mot on DGuller's part. 

It never occurred to me that he was serious.

I have never stated that "sides embrace tolerance equally" and would, in fact, contend that there are far more than two "sides" when it comes to tolerance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:52:02 AM
Having a choice (in abortion, gay marriage, etc.) is a position of tolerance - we accept and tolerate the fact that some people may make some choices and others may make different choices. We can still believe that some choices are better than others (I don't think you would find many pro-choicers who think that abortion is an optimal solution) but nonetheless we tolerate people's right to choose.
I have no idea why you use the word "we" when referring to tolerance.  You are extremely intolerant when it comes to the religious, for instance.  I would certainly argue that Berkut is far more tolerant than you.

So, if you really mean "tolerant like you" than you mean "intolerant except on a few pet issues" as far as I can tell.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

(snip)

Seriously, why do you sometimes come with something so retarded like this is beyond me. Is it too early in the morning or what?
There you have the self-proclaimed voice of "tolerance," people!  :lmfao:

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:39:08 AM
I was laughing at (and thus, I thought, encouraging) what I thought was a deliberate bon mot on DGuller's part. 

It never occurred to me that he was serious.

I have never stated that "sides embrace tolerance equally" and would, in fact, contend that there are far more than two "sides" when it comes to tolerance.
I was expressing an honest sentiment in a slightly exaggerated language.  Whenever there is a disputed issue that's close to 50/50, and that issue has a pretty undisputed retarded and non-retarded side, you can be very sure that those identifying themselves as Republicans will make up the bulk of the retarded side.  I can't think of one issue off the top of my head where Democrats fall on the retarded end of the spectrum.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2009, 10:58:59 AM
I was expressing an honest sentiment in a slightly exaggerated language.  Whenever there is a disputed issue that's close to 50/50, and that issue has a pretty undisputed retarded and non-retarded side, you can be very sure that those identifying themselves as Republicans will make up the bulk of the retarded side.  I can't think of one issue off the top of my head where Democrats fall on the retarded end of the spectrum.
If you are a Democrat, I can think of one off the top of my head!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:38:54 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 07, 2009, 09:34:06 AM
Is tolerance a good thing all of the sudden?

Noone is necessarily saying it is. People with leftists views usually think it is; conservatives not so much.

:mad:

Admiral Yi

Love of the Soviet Union.

9/11 Truthers.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2009, 02:55:59 PM
Love of the Soviet Union.
Really?

Quote9/11 Truthers.
I'll give you that, for the most part.  Though I suspect there'd actually be a surprisingly large group of truthers who are also birthers.  They are, as Ron Paul supporters, really outside the mainstream :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Whenever there is a disputed issue that's close to 50/50, and that issue has a pretty undisputed retarded and non-retarded side,

x = ~x?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:44:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:52:02 AM
Having a choice (in abortion, gay marriage, etc.) is a position of tolerance - we accept and tolerate the fact that some people may make some choices and others may make different choices. We can still believe that some choices are better than others (I don't think you would find many pro-choicers who think that abortion is an optimal solution) but nonetheless we tolerate people's right to choose.
I have no idea why you use the word "we" when referring to tolerance.  You are extremely intolerant when it comes to the religious, for instance.  I would certainly argue that Berkut is far more tolerant than you.

So, if you really mean "tolerant like you" than you mean "intolerant except on a few pet issues" as far as I can tell.

Tolerance doesn't mean I have to like it, or be polite or nice. I have a big dislike of religion and I do not hide it. I think religion is the scourge of the earth, and a source of much hate and wrong. But this thread, if anything, proves I'm tolerant - because I find this measure (anti-minaret ban) wrong and unacceptable, even though it strikes at those I strongly dislike.

That's what tolerance is all about.

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 07, 2009, 10:46:56 AM

(snip)

There you have the self-proclaimed voice of "tolerance," people!  :lmfao:

Again, tolerance does not involve being nice or polite. Tolerance is an ideological/political stance, not an emotional or social one.