News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Afghanistan News: Obama says NO to everything!

Started by CountDeMoney, November 11, 2009, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteOfficial: Obama won't take any current war options

By BEN FELLER and ANNE GEARAN
Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama does not plan to accept any of the Afghanistan war options presented by his national security team, pushing instead for revisions to clarify how and when U.S. troops would turn over responsibility to the Afghan government, a senior administration official said Wednesday.

That push follows strong reservations about a possible troop buildup expressed by the U.S. ambassador in Afghanistan, Karl Eikenberry, according to a second top administration official. In strongly worded classified cables to Washington, Eikenberry said he had misgivings about sending in new troops while there are still so many questions about the leadership of Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

Obama is still close to announcing his revamped war strategy - most likely shortly after he returns from a trip to Asia that ends on Nov. 19.

But the president raised questions at a war council meeting Wednesday that could alter the dynamic of both how many additional troops are sent to Afghanistan and what the timeline would be for their presence in the war zone, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss Obama's thinking.

Kleves

I'm sure doing nothing will turn out to be the best decision of all.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on November 11, 2009, 09:37:57 PM
I'm sure doing nothing will turn out to be the best decision of all.

If he'd just apply that to his domestic policy he'd be my favoritist (Dem) prez ever!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

There was a leak a couple days ago by an "unnamed White House source" that Obama was going to bet the whole 40.  Until the official word comes down I'm going to assume they're just playing run-it-up-the-flagpole.

Darth Wagtaros

Legislating the Taliban out of existence is bound to work.  Rat bastard.
PDH!

Hansmeister

Fate

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 12, 2009, 12:02:03 AM
Obama is voting "present" on Afghanistan.

Just like Bush for the past 6 years? Let me guess, the window for action is *now*.  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Seriously though, he needs to go back and pick one of the plans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2009, 12:35:42 AM
Disagree.  There is nothing magical about the plans per se.  He needs to promulgate a clear plan, true, but it doesn't have to be one of the plans presented - it can mix and match where appropriate.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

BTW, I love the credulity with which Languishites accept the word of an unnamed "senior administration official."  That source has been so reliable in the past (not) that his word should be treated as gospel!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 12, 2009, 12:02:03 AM
Obama is voting "present" on Afghanistan.
Ok, I have I admit, that was one of the very rare times where you have a good one.  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2009, 09:06:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2009, 12:35:42 AM
Disagree.  There is nothing magical about the plans per se.  He needs to promulgate a clear plan, true, but it doesn't have to be one of the plans presented - it can mix and match where appropriate.

Okay I agree.  I don't care which plan he picks (I'm not a military strategist and don't know the differences between all of them), but he needs to pick one.