News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliebear

If not Winnipeg, I'd like to see a team come to southern Ontario.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 04:40:07 PM
Max seats is a very poor way to judge a potential location.  15000 seats sold out every night will bring in a lot more revenue than having an average of 12000 attendance with a 20000 seat arena.
Yeah, and 20,000 seats sold out every night in Hamilton will bring in a lot more revenue than having an average of 15,000 attendance in Winnipeg.  Bringing a team to Southern Ontario makes more sense than bringing one back to Winnipeg.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 28, 2009, 05:13:49 PM
Max seats is a very poor way to judge a potential location.  15000 seats sold out every night will bring in a lot more revenue than having an average of 12000 attendance with a 20000 seat arena.
Yeah, and 20,000 seats sold out every night in Hamilton will bring in a lot more revenue than having an average of 15,000 attendance in Winnipeg.  Bringing a team to Southern Ontario makes more sense than bringing one back to Winnipeg.

Except for the fact that the Leafs, and likely the Sabres, would have to sign off on a southern Ontario team, and they have shown ZERO interest in that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: charliebear on May 28, 2009, 04:47:56 PM

Screw Southern Ontario.

I want a team in Winnipeg.  I want the Jets back.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 05:20:27 PM

Screw Southern Ontario.

You didn't stay there, why would you want to punish a team by making them go there? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 05:19:42 PM
Except for the fact that the Leafs, and likely the Sabres, would have to sign off on a southern Ontario team, and they have shown ZERO interest in that.

Setting aside those regional licensing issues for a moment... here is a hypothetical question for you:  If you were a businessman thinking of purchasing and moving an NHL team from somewhere in the US would you move said team to Southern Ontario or Winnipeg?  Don't forget you're a businessman and although you may be a fan, you have to think of the bottomline and financial feasibility of the team first.  Where do you move the team?

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 28, 2009, 09:50:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 05:20:27 PM

Screw Southern Ontario.

You didn't stay there, why would you want to punish a team by making them go there? :P

After the Jets left, I left.

If the Jets returned... :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 28, 2009, 11:52:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 05:19:42 PM

Setting aside those regional licensing issues for a moment... here is a hypothetical question for you:  If you were a businessman thinking of purchasing and moving an NHL team from somewhere in the US would you move said team to Southern Ontario or Winnipeg?  Don't forget you're a businessman and although you may be a fan, you have to think of the bottomline and financial feasibility of the team first.  Where do you move the team?

In what possible way do you think I approach this issue rationally?

I want the Jets back.  Period.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 11:58:35 PM

Ok, I thought you were approaching the question rationally earlier.. now I know.  The Jets and the NHL will never return to Winnipeg for the rest of time and you acknowledge that.  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 29, 2009, 12:00:52 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2009, 11:58:35 PM

Ok, I thought you were approaching the question rationally earlier.. now I know.  The Jets and the NHL will never return to Winnipeg for the rest of time and you acknowledge that.  ;)

But Bettman seems to say differently.  :contract:

saskganesh

Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2009, 04:46:59 PM
Are there 15,000 non-poor people in Winnipeg?

yes. but they didn't get non-poor by paying $2000 a seat annually for a non playoff team.
humans were created in their own image

katmai

no no no, teams out of Canada is progress, going back is just plain dumb.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Cecil

So any thoughts on the last game? Detroit handed out a pretty thorough thrashing it seems.

Neil

I don't think anybody is watching anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Cecil on May 31, 2009, 04:27:31 PM
So any thoughts on the last game? Detroit handed out a pretty thorough thrashing it seems.

I think Steve Yzerman and Ron MacLean nailed it last night in this exchange:

Ron: So, Stevie, what will it take for Detroit to win this series?

Yzerman: Four wins, Ron.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock